Good Year Terra Tires

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Year Terra Tires

Good Year Terra Tires

I'm looking to replace my 21" Good Year Rawhide Terra's for turning rubber tracks as they have stiff sidewalls. All the adds say they're 2 ply. Does this seem right? Thought they were 4. Also does anyone know the best place to buy them? Thanks
    Last edited by tbone9; 09-14-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Not sure on the Rawhides but the 21" AT-101s are easy to find at $65 ea and free shipping. I run them on my Max in the winter with tracks.

The 21" Rawhides have better sidewalls than the AT101 Carlisle. With Rawhides I can keep tracks on at 6-7 psi and the AT101s take 9-10 psi. This is max 4 and buff truck with factory rubber tracks. Contact a Goodyear Comercial dealer they are stocked primarily in an agriculture tire center. My local dealer said it is run by the Titan division of Goodyear. They have been available again for a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    The 21" Rawhides have better sidewalls than the AT101 Carlisle. With Rawhides I can keep tracks on at 6-7 psi and the AT101s take 9-10 psi. This is max 4 and buff truck with factory rubber tracks. Contact a Goodyear Comercial dealer they are stocked primarily in an agriculture tire center. My local dealer said it is run by the Titan division of Goodyear. They have been available again for a couple years now.
    I've heard this stated before but it makes no sense to me at all, my research leads me to the exact opposite conclusion and that's why I chose the AT-101s over the Rawdide Terras.

The AT-101 tire is a 4 ply tire with a 1390lb load capacity
    The Rawhide Terra is only a 2 ply tire with only has a 310lb load capacity

http://www.carlstargroup.com/product.../at101-chevron
    http://www.titan-intl.com/files/Agri..._FINAL_Web.pdf

How can the Rawhide Terra be better with only 1/4 of the load capacity and 1/2 the number of plys? And if the Rawhide Terra is "better" why would MuddOx sell the Max IV and Buff trucks with the AT-101s standard and claim that the AT-101 is the ONLY tire that can be run with their rubber tracks? (it's on their website under accessories).

YMMV

I believe the carlisles are 4 ply rating but only 2 ply in the sidewall. Next time I get a dead one I'll cut it up and see. I've run both and my opinion is from experience. The Rawhides are more expensive most places by 10-15$ and we're not available for several years. When the At101s replaced the Rawhides I thought they would be better from the specs but had so many failures I've changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I believe the carlisles are 4 ply rating but only 2 ply in the sidewall. Next time I get a dead one I'll cut it up and see. I've run both and my opinion is from experience. The Rawhides are more expensive most places by 10-15$ and we're not available for several years. When the At101s replaced the Rawhides I thought they would be better from the specs but had so many failures I've changed my mind.
    That's good to know, I prefer to take advice from those with actual experience. I'm pretty sure my AT-101 do say 4 ply on the carcass, but looking further into the specs the 101s and the Rawhide Terras both weigh in at 17 lbs each. Odd stuff for sure, the load capacity is what sold me on the 101s, I simply equated that to a stronger sidewall. My tires are only a season old and do not show much wear yet, here's hoping they last me a few years

Thanks guys for your valuable information. I was also reading that the Rawhides are available wit the EMT option. Run flat. It's a liner that goes inside the tire and stiffens it considerably. They claim you only need two pounds of air. This would be better for tracks as the temp really lowers the air pressure in the winter. My old Rawhides held up good for the last ten years I just can't keep air in them anymore. Don't wanna chance ripping a valve stem off with tubes either. I'll do some more investigating and maybe some others will chime in but for now leaning towards Goodyear. Go with what ya know right.

I've got the new Rawhide Terra's mounted. If anyone is wondering they are the same quality as my 11 year old ones. They're a very ridged tire. Great for tracks. They only varied one inch in circumference which I didn't think was too bad. Best of all they're still made in USA. I also went with the flush mount valve stems since my rims are always packed with ice. Some do gooder always wants to help me out by kicking the ice out of the rims, I haven't lost a stem yet but ain't taking a chance.

+ Reply to Thread