Spacers vs offset rims for tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spacers vs offset rims for tracks

Spacers vs offset rims for tracks

Looking to put tracks (channel?) on my 6x6 Frontier. What are the pros and cons of using spacers vs a rim with a 2" offset? I won't be swimming. What tires would you recommend for the tracks?

Width.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

19" track width

The stock Argo spacer on their 18 inch tracks is 2-1/2, check with Channel on recommended spacer width and tire sizes for you particular machine. The manufacturer should have an ideal fitment for each machine the track is installed on.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

It is 2.5". My question is about pros and cons of using a 2.5" spacer vs a rim with an offset.

It makes no difference on these vehicles whether you use a spacer or an offset Rim. The end result is the same amount of Leverage exerted on the axle. Using a spacer makes it easier to go back to a narrow width with Tires Only. The advantages of an offset Rim are fewer mechanical fasteners and in theory it should run truer

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    It makes no difference on these vehicles whether you use a spacer or an offset Rim. The end result is the same amount of Leverage exerted on the axle. Using a spacer makes it easier to go back to a narrow width with Tires Only. The advantages of an offset Rim are fewer mechanical fasteners and in theory it should run truer
    Agreed, my comments were as to the 1/2" difference which could result in much unwanted tub destruction. Even with the 2-1/2" spacers tub contact is possible with the 18 inch track if a tire psi becomes low or tracks are loose, the lower belting of the channel track may be less likely however I have no experience with that so my opinion is moot.

Yup, as Can. Zuk and Argo Jim have said , where you get the extra 2 1/2 inches from makes no difference. Spacers or extra wheel offset is all the same. as a point of interest I have been using 20 inch wide rubber tracks from R.S. Bolduc for a few years now on two different Avengers without any problems just 2 1/2 inch steel spacers.

+ Reply to Thread