J-wheelz

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: J-wheelz

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    The best thing for winter is tracks or some decent chains.http://www.wallingfords.com/babac/im...ulti_large.jpg
    I have often wondered how chains such as these would improve ones ability to navigate submerged logs. I would argue that all a person would need is a set on the front 2 tires only, just enough to get you up on the logs after which the other tires -if they had an aggressive tread- should be able to pull on over. Another advantage would be exiting the water where there are roots. I will definitely be keeping this in mind for the future, because there is a lot of both where I ride! Thanks for the pic.

Chains

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    I have often wondered how chains such as these would improve ones ability to navigate submerged logs. I would argue that all a person would need is a set on the front 2 tires only, just enough to get you up on the logs after which the other tires -if they had an aggressive tread- should be able to pull on over. Another advantage would be exiting the water where there are roots. I will definitely be keeping this in mind for the future, because there is a lot of both where I ride! Thanks for the pic.
    I have had the same thoughts on several occasions. There is nothing I know that bites like a chain in slick impossible conditions. I have often wondered how they would work with a 26 Inch Terra tire.

chajns

Why doesn't someone buy some chains and try them out then let us all know how they work. Loggers use them. Make sure they are tight so they don't tear up the body. Screw in motorcycle studs in the lugs of the tires work great on ice, but they tend to be a little slippery on payment and tear stuff up. They might work on logs too. The only logs I've had problems with are the ones that happen to get length wise in the middle of the body!!!

J-Wheels in back

Here are some pictures of J-wheels removed and in the back of Max IV ready for transporting.
    Attached Images

[I]I have often wondered how chains such as these would improve ones ability to navigate submerged logs. I would argue that all a person would need is a set on the front 2 tires only, just enough to get you up on the logs after which the other tires -if they had an aggressive tread- should be able to pull on over. Another advantage would be exiting the water where there are roots. I will definitely be keeping this in mind for the future, because there is a lot of both where I ride! Thanks for the pic.[/I]

I think those chains are cool looking but I dont think they come in atv sizes I looked at the web site and they were for bigger tires. they do have a little less agressive style that would work good for slick mud and trees

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Typed atv tire chains in my search box and came up with a few results...seem to run from $60 to $100 usd/ pair. For tensioners add about $20 per pair. Probably...soon, or I may just build my own. I can buy a lot of chain for $110 + shipping, ya' know, and they don't look all that complicated to work out.

@max king and others.

Hello.

I used the my j-wheelz on a suzuki KQ 450 in the snow this past winter. I live in northern Canada.

The J-wheelz did not improve anything in the deep snow. They did not help in plowing the yard either. J-wheelz did well in slush though.

Secondly just about every one around here has atv tire chains for their 4 wheelers.

I don't know why it's not popular where you may be located. However atv, terrajet tires chains have been around here for decades.

I do not recall saying that i put chains on the j-wheelz, nor would i even try.

I can't see chains being used on certain AATVs that have the wheels so close together.

6wheelie & brushcutter.

Yes the dual ring tires chains are available for atv tires, at least two of the local atv dealers sell them, Kimpex brand i believe.

Tires chains are very aggressive and when you do hit a log or stump in the mud get ready for a large and sudden Jerk from the gripping tires. It will pull quite a bit to one side that has traction.

On Regular 4 wheelers . 99% of the time the chains are only on the rear tires.

Most use them for swamp areas, and winter conditions.

@6wheelie: That photo was an example, and about the only decent one i could find of a dual ring type.

In the end there is no perfect solution for better atv/aatv traction & floatation. J-wheelz is the lowest cost & most effective alternative for full time (non-winter) ATV/AATV use.

100$ CDN for 2 tire chains.

700$ CDN for 4 J-wheelz

2300$ CDN for 4 4force paws/talons

3000-4000$ CDN for atv tracks

2000-3000$ CDN for argo 6x6 tank tracks.

It should be noted that atv tire chains will greatly increase the lifespan of your tires when used in winter.
    Last edited by cobalt; 08-26-2009 at 12:59 AM.

J-wheelz

Hi Cobalt
    Good post.

Do you use your J-wheelz in other conditions besides snow? Like mud, swamp etc. If you went thru the ice on the 4x4 you would be better off with J-wheelz on.
    I've mainly used them in the swamp, rivers and lakes so far, I'm really impressed with the floatation and added traction on the Max 6x6..

I don't need chains plowing with the Max II with tracks. I did with the Artic Cat 650 plowing snow. The Max works so much better for plowing snow. I no longer use the Artic Cat for plowing.

I plowed snow with the max no tracks went into a rut and got high centered
    if I had J-Wheelz at the time the tires would not have gone into the rut with the extra widith they provide.

I can put the J-wheelz on the Max IV or Artic Cat, so I will have to try both in the snow this year.

Do you have any snow up there yet. I can't wait.

@max king

I use the J-wheelz in the same types of terrain as you.

As for the possibility of J-wheelz on a hoot etv. It would greatly improve the machine.

As for falling through the ice proposal. The j-wheelz would give you more time to escape from a regular 4 wheeler, and if enough slush is around. The J-wheelz should keep the atv a-float.

Ice, snow & slush is tricky. It does not take much time to seize up around a vehicle. Especially when the vehicle has little ground clearance at the time of the sinking and no inertia.

It's why i got rid of my snowmobiles and got atv tracks instead.

You might like these videos.

I get my tracks from this guy.

No snow here for about two months yet.
    Last edited by cobalt; 09-18-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Well thanks for the info on the J wheels. its good to have non bias info on them. as for chains if you guys can hold on a little while i am doing some porto types on a verry agressive chain more so than the ones in the pics just for log hopping and getting a little better bite on water edge banks.just got to get some supplies and time.

+ Reply to Thread