Busco Beach Trail Ride - Input Wanted

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: What is your ideal busco beach trail ride format?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No structure - I want to ride when I like with who I like

1 4.35%
  • Give me structure - I want to ride as a large group every time we ride

2 8.70%
  • Mix - Give me one structured/planned trail ride with the group and then leave me alone

19 82.61%
  • Other (Please explain in a post below)

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Busco Beach Trail Ride - Input Wanted

I like the idea of a little structure during the rides. I personally would love to ride with everyone everytime that we go out, but the prolonged halts kind of kills me,, Im always anxious to go. I like the idea of the dry erase board with times and an air horn that will sound off 15 minutes prior to roll out. I remember when I first joined and attended a BB, It felt like the whole camp was riding at the same time, laughing, encouraging and challenging each other,,, it was fun. I personally don't like sitting in one area too long. i think that we should only stop long enough for everyone to tackle the obstacle at hand and to get a head count, and then we should be moving on to the next mud hole. Of all members, I know what it feels like to have an occasional break here and there. I suggest the division of smaller groups within the larger group would allow everyone to ride together without everyone waiting on mechanical failures here and there. Overall I agree with the suggestion that Lewis made. I ultimately love seeing the footage of others in the videos and of course of Karen and I when I first log on to the site. It would also be great for the newcomers to see themselves in the footage, it would really make them feel like they are welcomed. This could only happen unless there is an organized large group ride. Well this is only my two cents!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Thanks for all of the great input. If anyone else has a different opinion, don't be afraid to voice it here.

So far I think for the April ride, it sounds like we will start slow and try one scheduled, large group ride. We can set a time on Saturday for anyone that wants to go. The only thing I'm struggling with is going in the afternoon vs the morning. I understand that most of you go on the Friday night ride, stay out late and need to sleep in a little on Saturday and fix anything you broke the night before. That makes sense. I feel like it would be a lot easier to get everyone together in the morning vs the afternoon though. If we scheduled the ride for 10am, most people haven't gone out yet. However, if we do the afternoon ride, we would wait until after lunch so 1:00 or so? If so, we often lose track of time on the trails or get sidetracked fixing something, etc. Some people will still be riding, some will just have started fixing lunch.

If we did a morning ride, what time would work best for everyone?
    If we did an afternoon ride, what time would work best?

Quote Originally Posted by fmints View Post
    I ultimately love seeing the footage of others in the videos and of course of Karen and I when I first log on to the site. It would also be great for the newcomers to see themselves in the footage, it would really make them feel like they are welcomed. This could only happen unless there is an organized large group ride. Well this is only my two cents!
    Fred, that is a great point and that's the biggest downside for me when we ride in smaller groups. I just don't get footage of everyone. I used to try so hard to get as many members in the video as I could but lately it's been a lot of video of a small handful of people that I end up riding with. I hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to purposefully leave anyone out or worse, show mainly video of Jennifer and I riding around.

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Tried this 4 times and clock ate it each time so here's what you get.

11am 4-5 hour trail ride with planned lunch is much easier to manage. It's easier to deal with the inevitable stucks or breakdowns with 10 guys wanting to help than 10 guys holding flashlights. 30 machines at night can easily spread over 1/4 mile.
    Seems any more than 15 machines on a night ride becomes unorganized.
    My opinion,maybe wrong, but mine.

I like Lewis's idea's. The board could also share info,who's videoing on which ride,etc. I agree with Jim's summary of the larger night rides,perhaps 2 or 3 smaller groups could "schedule" for the night rides.

I love this group, and enjoy riding with all of you. It does suck to miss out on some of the rides and to not get to ride with each and everyone of you like Mike said to start with. I like the idea of one large group ride on Saturday. I would say Saturday morning around 10 would be ideal, you get enough time to sleep in and for those that got maintenance issues, you get sometime in the morning to work on things. The afternoon brings heat and with some of us driving from long distances away, a nap would do the body good.

I am an early riser (6 or 7) and would gladly help anyone that has issues in the early morning. Lewis' idea with the dry erease board is great. You could post Start time, who's leading and those in that group. I would also add in trail/direction you are going because if there are some that can't leave at that time they might know the trails well enough to catch up. This would even be good for smaller group rides if they wanted to post what time and direction they headed out in just in case others wanted to catch up and join them.

I will say one of the great meeting spots on the trail is where we met up this last ride by the bridge (the one I was stuck under) that is right next to that one open area that everyone gets stuck in where Jim was up to his knees in on the night ride. Also for a large group ride it would be cool for those of us that have ants in our pants to scout ahead for nice mud holes or obstcales for the group to go though along with by-passes for the new riders and then double back for the group. That way you are still moving instead of sitting for a long time. When it comes to smaller groups I know some just like to ride, some like the mud, some like the swamps, and others don't care but if it is posted where you are doing, it might attacked others that want to join. Just wanted to add my thoughts.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

I like the 10:30 to 11:00 start time for the day group ride on Saturday and as Jim said 30 machines at night is a bit much the ride gets lost in the translation. There is very little to video in the dark except the occasional "did you see that" item. Saturdays are when all are on site and wanting to ride with each other. With at least one structured ride I think it would fit what we are looking for as far as the group ride. Fridays we can still use the same tactic for a ride or two. A little structure is good. The board could be used for many things to help make the event more fun for all. I think one thing that I miss was in the evening all the (guys and ladies) would sit down with something that they prepared and we all ate together and fellowshipped. Will this work now, don't know with such a large group, but it sure was fun. I know you members that travel very far want to get as much stick time on the trails as possible with a balance of fellowshipping with the members= Putting names to faces is always nice. I look forward to each ride with the group and come away with NEW great memories for the scrap book.

Just my 2 pennies.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

One of the many factors in us not attending the Busco rides over the last few years is how little riding we actually get to do for the money we spend. Back when there were 6-15 of us attending we covered a ton of ground in a weekend, and still managed a ton of socialization. The last several rides have been an exercise in trying to plan a ride without leaving people behind and instead of social time, running camp to camp to plan. The second factor actually pertaining to the ride is that when I show up, I am usually expected to lead. I don't mind doing it some, and almost always can find camp if we get lost but I would like to ride back in the pack and actually see what other people are doing sometimes.

I for one am not a fan of "the big ride" although I would gladly participate (not lead) in a 10am Saturday ride. I would also be willing to lead one ride per day and I'm sure my wife would ride back of the pack to make sure no one gets left. Along with a dry erase board with times, we could laminate a google earth map of the park and # zones on the map to indicate general direction the ride is headed. Then on the dry erase board, mark a leader, a zone, 10 empty sign up slots and a tail rider. Fill in your name and show up if you want to go. This would have to come with the understanding that if the posted leader mangles a machine or is having an epic time on a 10 am ride, someone else has to step up.

Racerone3. 2pm saturday Zone 6 (swamp behind camp). Racerone3sgirl
    Racerone3sgirl

Those who don't want any structure, don't sign up for rides and do your own thing.

This does nothing to address the issue of not getting to ride with everyone, but as the event continues to grow that has gone from hard to nearly impossible.

My 2ยข
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There are lots of free "find my friends" apps out there that run off GPS coordinates and show you everyone on a map on your smartphone. It would be nice to find a good one and designate it the official one for the ride. That way you would know if someone was left behind or be able to join up with a ride in progress. Sounds good in theory at least.
    -----\
    OOO-(
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level, then beat you to death with stupidity!

Race good to hear from you again. I was thinking the same thing about the laminated map. Several of the regulars could do the recon and mark some routes on the map. I think that a lot are worried about not being able to find their way back or worry about a mechanical problem and return to camp machine left in woods. This is not the case as far as i know everyone has made it back in some form or fashion. I don't mind leading either but do not want to do it all the time. I do not always go through all the mud holes but do not mind to stop and smell the mud if members want to jump in. There is no really getting lost unless you cross the road or river you can only be detained or misdirected internally in the park. I don't do as much night riding due to vision but will go time to time. Our one landmark for night rides is the lite tower but sometimes it is obscured by the trees but you will pop out somewhere on a main trail head and be good to go. I have a lead foot if i am in front a lot of times and like to haul butt in the trails when i get a chancebut i will not leave anyone behind. The wife and i plan to make a trip or two to Busco for a day ride and can do a little trail marking prior to the end of the year.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

+ Reply to Thread