Busco Beach Trail Ride - Input Wanted

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: What is your ideal busco beach trail ride format?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No structure - I want to ride when I like with who I like

1 4.35%
  • Give me structure - I want to ride as a large group every time we ride

2 8.70%
  • Mix - Give me one structured/planned trail ride with the group and then leave me alone

19 82.61%
  • Other (Please explain in a post below)

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Busco Beach Trail Ride - Input Wanted

Busco Beach Trail Ride - Input Wanted

I wanted to start a thread to get input on the current format of the Busco Beach trail ride. This weekend I spoke to several of you and got varied input on how the trail rides go. For any of you that have attended or are planning on attending, feel free to chime in with your thoughts/opinions.

The semi-annual ride at Busco Beach started as a very informal gathering several years ago. With a small group, we mainly rode together during the ride. We took breaks together, ate together and then rode again, together. As the rides grew in attendance, we still tried to ride together but it proved to be challenging. A large group can mean a lot of waiting around especially when we have such a varied level of machine capabilities as well as varied experience levels. There is also a lot of waiting just to corral the members together at a single time to hit the trails.

The past couple of years, we have informally gotten away from large group rides. I have enjoyed these rides a little more because you really get to cover some ground and you almost always run across another group of six wheelers on the trail which is fun. The downside for me has been that I haven't gotten to ride with everyone and even speak to everyone. Granted, I am not there for as long as most of you and I stay at a hotel at night instead of camping most of the time so that's part of the reason but I heard similar comments from some of you that are there the entire weekend too.

What I'm asking for in this thread is just some feedback on how the rides are going and how you would like them to go. We can make this whatever you guys want. Is everyone content with the way things are? Do you want more structure, less structure, etc. I have tried to remain as much of a bystander as possible because I'm just showing up to ride just like all of you. My role in the forum is meaningless when it comes to the trail ride but at the same time, if everyone would prefer to have more structure, I'd be happy to put together a more structured group ride.

I was contemplating keeping things like they are now but having one large group ride on Saturday morning at 9:30 or 10:00. That way anyone that wants a structured ride with everyone else knows where to be and what time. I would be happy to lead the ride or someone else can. We could have a couple of the Busco regulars designated as additional leaders. If there are 30 machines, we could have five groups of six. We all go out together and if someone in the smaller group of six gets stuck, they help each other out and then catch back up with the larger group. This way the large group keeps moving.

I don't know. I've just been contemplating this since leaving this past weekend after talking to a few of you about it. I didn't want to sit back and not do something if you guys and gals want something different but if you like things the way they are, I'm good with that too. This is your trail ride so let me know what you like and don't like.

I personally rather enjoy the disorganization of finding a group to go with whenever you are ready to ride. I would have liked to ride with the tank guys and gals as well as you and Jennifer at some point, but I'm not loosing sleep over missing you all on the trails. One big group ride would be cool to have. Kind of like when we did the big ride at Ashtabula that started by going around the track last year. I would suggest an after lunch ride rather than morning or evening. People tend to wake at all different times and some take time cooking while others like to hit the trails faster in the mornings. Although the night rides are my personal favorite rides to run, many members don't go on them all the time. Sometimes they are beat from the afternoon, sometimes they broke down and just don't want to go along, sometimes they clean up and decide to stay that way. That's just my 2 cents. I've ridden on the big groups before and I've been there for the more recent go when you feel like rides. Both ways have their advantages.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I think the option of an organized ride,or two,is a great idea. I suggest an early afternoon departure from camp as well as a time to head out for a large Sat nite ride. I've been to Busco twice. The first time I was just "in the right places at the right times" and did a LOT of riding (despite a half crippled machine,lol). My second trip was much less glamorous. I missed out on a large afternoon ride because I wasn't aware it was being organized and was fooling around with two of my tires (that could certainly have waited), I wasn't ready when the hat dropped for that one. I spent most of the remainder of the weekend milling around camp trying to get even a small ride together. I would have welcomed the thought that there are a few "specific" times to head out. I would have just kicked back and waited. Not that I mind chewin' the fat and sippin a cold with other members but after taking time off work and trailering (thru the mountains on I77) for 11 hrs, I want to ride,not BS.

I like at least one scheduled ride early afternoon. Smaller groups are more fun but its nice to all go out together as long as there are a few guides intermixed that know the trails and the general direction we are heading. I also like the idea of the dice runs they had at the Ledges. I think $5 a piece to join the dice run and the winner takes all would be a fun addition.

I think all good ideas, this past Busco was awesome, I tend to shy away from the real BIG rides because I can't stand stopping and talking about everything. Personally I like to ride and bs when back at camp.ive learned that a little communication will help you not miss rides... It's always a great time with good people... Norm

I would like to see one group ride as I enjoy watching how people attack the trails, if someone gets hung up try for a minute or two to get unstuck then suck it up get a pull and lets ride, maybe after a ride we could all get together and sit around and shoot the bull maybe have a pot luck dinner, all in all I love to ride. I have had a blast coming and hope to make some more

I feel like one big trial ride is always a good idea. Some like to break off into groups, but it's definitely cool to see everyone who was there riding in the videos and unfortunately that doesn't always happen. I love how unorganized Busco can get because it feels like you can just hop in and go at your own pace!

BB FUN

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:42 PM.

hey friends, i feel like one scheduled big ride made up of groups like mike said would be fun. maybe some head out in one direction, others the other way. we are bound to cross paths at some point. i was late heading out on the sat. afternoon ride, so headed out alone looking for them. never found them , but met up with mike, jennifer and friends and had a great time. seems there is almost always a group heading out. what if we had a central dry erase board posted and a short while before a group heads out, someone could write the time down when they are leaving. if you want to head out, just check to see whats scheduled or post your own ride with others thats coming up. how ever it works, it's still super fun . johnboy va.

Well I will also wade in on this one. When this started with about 6 people it was very easy to organize a ride, there were only 6 riders or so. As it grew, not so easy, but we had Race(Brian) to sound a air horn which meant 15 min until ride time. I think a board with some times for a ride would help for a more organized ride. Even if you do not want to go the direction of the group you will know at least when it is going. Some are working on their machines are caught off guard when the ride begins. The motto is everybody rides, if your machine is down there is a empty seat somewhere and all are welcome to come along or you can just take off on your on.

The board would help give some direction:

Ride time: 14:00hrs

Rally Point: Concession/Picnic area

Driver: Lewis &Peggy, Jim , Rick, Dan etc....

You just put your name on the board and ride when the time comes. This would help people schedule their tire checks, oil and water and fine tune or fix before the ride starts and you know how much time you have. Your lunch can be scheduled with the time of the rides so children can be feed, so on and so on. This in no way means you can not strike out on your own at any time. This just gives everyone a time frame for the rides. A ride could start every hour or every 2 hours I can get a big board with the dry erasers and it can be posted somewhere at the camp site. Same can be done for the night rides. Smaller groups seem to work well: 6 to 8 machines in the day time. Everyone seems to stay in one group for the night rides and that is understandable.
    I a long time back would walk around and see if members were ready go but the group was small, then as we grew the air horn and now this seems a logical next step in evolution of this sport. Thanks Mike for bringing this up, I also heard some discussion on this topic.

Just my 2 cents.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

+ Reply to Thread