Big Nasty Trail ride May 17th 2014

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Nasty Trail ride May 17th 2014

Big Nasty Trail ride May 17th 2014

Hey everyone. I will be at the Big Nasty ATV park in Effingham County Georgia tomorrow morning with my wife, my grand daughter and my Argo HDI with the Adair pro series tracks. I can't wait to see what this water cooled fuel injected 8x8 will do in the swamps and trails of Big nasty. My wife already drove the new machine and did a great job so she will be getting some stick time tomorrow. If Anyone would like to join us I will see you tomorrow morning.
    Attached Images

I just got back from the Big Nasty ATV park and got some pretty good video. Film is processing now and I will post it when I can.
    The conditions for AATV's today were better then I have ever seen. Lots of areas that are normally flooded were down on water I got to run in pure mud and to look at all the trees and stumps I have been running over in the past. (Wow, I must say-AWFUL)
    Other areas were higher with water then I have ever seen them and the HDI got quite a work out today. The wife piloted the machine with out issue under some of the worst conditions I have ever seen. For anyone sitting on the 8x8 fence I highly suggest you stop thinking and start buying. The 8x8 is smoother riding, climbs better, is more stable, has more mobility and in my opinion just more fun to drive. Some of the areas that have been a challenge with my 6x6 Argo HD and my MaxIV were and cake walk with the HDI. I simply could not believe how well this machine navigates extreme conditions. After my wife was finished for the day I took the tracks off just to find out for myself if the tracks made any real difference. Within five minutes I was stuck in a mud lane that my wife had breezed through earlier in the day. It took me almost ten minutes of rocking and pushing to get the machine backed out and into a more subdued area. I did like the way the machine swam with tires, I would guess about 3 1/2 MPH, but the machine did swim well with the pro series tracks. My best guess would be 2 1/2 MPH.
    As for mud and swamp conditions, give me the tracks please which simply cannot be stopped. The water cooled engine and fuel injection were extremely nice but I did notice a lot of heat coming from the engine area when we were trail riding and I don't believe you could drive this machine for hours with out the belt heating up and causing problems.
    One thing I love about Argos is that they are pretty much water tight and the only way you take on water is by going into and out of ponds or swamp areas to fast.

The Adair Pro series tracks are very heavy duty and extremely stable, I just walked through every obstacle that has given issues or problems in the past. The machine was so good I found my self taking chances (which is not always a good choice).

Over all-love the machine and Adair tracks-The Argo still has to much heat coming off the engine area even with the watered cooled engine.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-17-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Good report Dan. I've been thinking of going 8x8 in the future myself. Lots of advantages and nearly the same maneuverability.

Sounds like you had a ball, Dan. I had a feeling you'd love the 8x. What kind of gearing do you have?

Dan if the HDI doesn't already have the hood fan, get it, you'll need it down there to help evacuate the engine bay heat some.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Sounds like you had a ball, Dan. I had a feeling you'd love the 8x. What kind of gearing do you have?
    The machine has the standard gearing Buzz. I do have the mid range clutch weights but after driving the machine in high range for 98% of the day I doubt that I will need them. The machine pretty much does what ever I want in high range. My only real concern is heat under the hood and possible belt slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    The machine has the standard gearing Buzz. I do have the mid range clutch weights but after driving the machine in high range for 98% of the day I doubt that I will need them. The machine pretty much does what ever I want in high range. My only real concern is heat under the hood and possible belt slippage.
    It doesn't and I think you are correct Argo Jim. The hood fan will be on my shot list.

Here some video of the HDI. I didn't get many shots of the machine from outside because my wife didn't want to drive the machine in the swamp areas with out me beside her. If you go to the 6:52 minute mark you will see why the wife didn't want me out of the tub.

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-18-2014 at 03:36 AM.

I take it a water mocasin is a snake ? I couldn't spot it in the video. Are they venomous ?

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    I take it a water mocasin is a snake ? I couldn't spot it in the video. Are they venomous ?
    Yes a moccasin is a swimming swamp snake, they are venomous and they are nasty, they are one of the few snakes that will go out of their way to come after you. As much as I don't like them I leave them alone because like all Gods creatures they have their purpose what ever it might be.

+ Reply to Thread