Baker Hill 7000 trouble....any ideas?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baker Hill 7000 trouble....any ideas?

Baker Hill 7000 trouble....any ideas?

Do any of you Attex guys know the Baker Hill 7000 pretty in depth or have a copy of an old manual with an exploded parts view? I was putting my brake pucks in my machine today and I noticed that the inside distance between the two disks was too short compared to my Baker Hill 5000. Because of this, the two disks are locked on the caliper and cannot turn. I wonder if I left a spacer or something which is about 1/2" wide out. I used all the parts that were there when I took it apart. I wonder if the Baker Hill 5000 had different calipers than the 7000 did. Any ideas? Thanks guys. I can get pics tomorrow.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

As far as I know, the 5000, 6000 and 7000 all used the same carriage and calipers, Jeff. I do have an old manual with the parts list and exploded view. As soon as I can get them scanned I'll email them to you. I've only rebuilt a couple of the old transmissions and they were both 6000 models, but if I can be any help, let me know.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

After getting your message this AM, I went out and checked several different calipers; both calipers that I know came off a 5000, and one's that I know came off a 7000. They look and measure identically. The distance between the disc "slots" on the calipers is the same, so I can only imagine that the rest should be the same. I don't have the specific 6000 manual, but the 5&7000 (as you know) on AttexATVs should be able to help. Remember to count your spacers and bushings as per the diagram.

5&7000 manual

I have a few other ideas too. Give me a call if you get the chance and I'll try a few things out. If all else fails, I've got a BFH that'll get the parts moving.
    ~m

As per the text message I sent, remember to completely back out the caliper adjusting screws and associated locknuts before assembly. I don't know if this is a problem or not.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help so much! I will snap some pics of the 7000 and the 5000 disks to show you the difference in distance between the two. It appears that the 5000 outter disks have a 1/4"-1/2" lip on them where they mount up against the inside disks......the 7000 outter disks dont have these. Maybe I'll yank my 5000 outter disks and put them on my 7000 shaft. But that might not work because the 5000 has a smaller shaft than the 7000. I'll get going on it when I get home and post up the pics then. Again, thanks so much!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

OK the disks on the right are of a Baker Hill 5000 and the ones on the left are my 7000. Take a look at how the outside disk of the 5000 has that little ridge on it where it meets up with the inner disk. I'm not sure what Im missing here on my 7000 but because the disks are so close the brakes rub and keep the disks from turning freely as they should.
    Attached Images

Hey, Jeff;

The 7000 looks closer to right than the 5000 does, IMO. It looks like the 5000 has something holding the plates apart.

There should be some side-to-side play in the outer disc. I never did find a spec for it, but I leave 1/8" of travel or a little more in the outer and it works well.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Stupid question, but if you had to, could you just use the 5000 discs? I know the shaft size is different, but could you just use put the 7000 bearings into the 5000 discs. (i.e., the bearings would have the right ID to fit the larger shaft? I don't have a 5000 for comparison, or else I'd check. This is something we need to figure out ASAP! Are you around this weekend for me to take a look at it in person? I need to do a little frame upgrade on the RIM, so it's going to be a pseudo-AATV weekend anyway...

~m

I think Im going to try and swap the outter discs. I'm down for some 6x6 work this weekend if you have some time, Mike. I have all the machine work done on my 440 JLO and now its just little stuff to take care of. I cant wait for Ledges and showing people what our old school 6x6 racers can do!

Well the transmission is all set! Mike C informed me that the planetary gears inside the disks were in backwards and all I had to do was flip them around. I did that tonight and my Baker Hill is ready to go! Thanks Mike and Don and 6x6world.com!

GREAT SUCCESSS!

VERY NIIICE!!!!

Glad it worked...
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread