Need Amphicat Transmission Info

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Amphicat Transmission Info

Need Amphicat Transmission Info

I have this fram of an amphicat and trying to find some info on it. One thing I would like to know is what type of trans is this and what chain would it use. Any info would be nice and thank you.amphidrr.jpgFRAME.jpg

That is the Borg-Warner tranny. I think it is called the t-10. Most call it the plunger style. Supposed to be the best tranny that came in the amphicats. Here is a link to the parts manual http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...ts-manual.html I remember reading a thread about someone having trouble with grinding in reverse. Ended up that to make that tranny go in reverse all you have to do is step on the loop and give it gas... no need to do anything with the sticks. As far as the chain, I think it is #40, but not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in on the chain size. Good luck.

Thanks for the info as I am going to put a 440 kaw motor from my snowmobile as it has no motor on it. I have the fram and some of the lower part of the body as some one cut it up. But I wil is what I could do to get pics. of it as I work on it as for body I might have to make one. Again thanks for the info.

Be careful... not sure how much punishment those little 3/4 axles will take

I hope it won't be to much as this is the first one I own but I have alot of work to get it done as this is what I have to start with. I took these pics. today as the ones I put on here was of some ones off the net but it has the same trany as mine. thanks for all the info.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1937 View Post
    not sure how much punishment those little 3/4 axles will take
    Agreed! Now would be a great time to upgrade the axles and beef up the frame a bit. I don't think it would be too difficult, but you'll have to source new sprocket tubes, bearings and sprockets if you go up to 1" axles. Why not go all the way to 1 1/4" splined (or even solid) axles? Sprockets and hubs aren't too expensive, and you'd likely have the only 'Cat running the larger equipment.

It's nice to see ambition in folks tackling such a project. Best of luck, and keep us posted on the progress!

~m

Hello Mike
    I love to rebuild things but this one is ground up as I will be making the body for it. As for the axles where would be a good place to get them and other things as this is my first one. I seen one when I was around 14 and wanted one for ever but didn't think I would be building one.

Hey Panther,
    You can either get axles that are already available from Recreatives Industries (they make the Max ATVs), or something from an Argo, which use 1 1/4" splined axles now in at least some of their product line. Another option is to contact a machine shop to have some made. Whipper (here on the forum, username Whipperag) can make you a custom set, so you could send him a PM. Another option is to make your own 1 1/4 axles, but this is a bit tougher, and getting hubs to fit the wheels may be a bit of a challenge. Bearings are readily available from hundreds of sources. Sprockets, chain, etc. are all available from lots of places. Motion Industries carries a good assortment of all grades of chain and sprockets, but there are other routes.

Are you entertaining the possibility of putting a true Amphicat body on the machine, or do you WANT to make a body? I've seen a couple 'Cat bodies on Craigslist and Ebay going for cheap in the past. Might not be too hard to come by if you wanted to go that route....

~m

Thanks Mike and I would love to put a amphicat body on it but the dummy I got it from cut it off at the headlights with a sawall as he said it had cracks in it. Was thinking only thing to do was make one out of fiberglass. It would be nice to have a real amphicat body though. I tryed to look on craigslist and ebay but never found any

Keep the search up Panther. I recently saw one for $150 in Lebanon PA. Sold fast though. Use a craigslist search engine like SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist and put your zip code in and amphicat in the search box and it will search closest to you first and go as far away as you set the parameters. It saves your search features too, and you may want to use some other search terms like Argo, Max, and 6x6. By separating the terms with a comma it will search for any of your terms at once.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread