Old Argo Trans problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Argo Trans problems

Old Argo Trans problems

So I was just up north hunting with a few buddys, we didn't have any luck hunting so we decided to go for an Argo ride cause one of my buddys had never seen an Argo. My Argo has been slipping out of reverse ever since i got it a few months ago, but low and high gear worked fine. Well we definitely tested it out pretty good with 3 guys in it driving over logs, marsh, then my two buddys got out and I took it in the lake. When I went to climb out of the lake I came too close to my pontoon boat at the dock and had to reverse. Well I'm kind of an idiot and I just kept slamming it in reverse to get it to back out so I wouldn't hit the boat. Well once I got it out, not only would it not go into reverse at all now, it didn't seems like it would shift at all. So it is now stuck in high gear.

I have two questions, Should I bother taking the trans apart and seeing if I can figure out what is wrong with it? It is a 20+ year old trans. Or if I end up just replacing it, which transmission should I try to get? My Argo is pretty old so I'll probably end up replacing or at least rebuilding the motor at some point, will this effect which trans I should be looking for?

By the way, my Argo is an 86 Argo 6 I/C with a 18hp kohler magnum motor.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: I meant to post this in the transmission section but now I don't know how to move it. Could a moderator please move this to the Transmission section?

Sounds as if the internal part of the shifter has failed or lost it's snap ring, there is a bushing in the top of the housing that wears.

Unless of course the bolt or roll pins on top of the shifter have failed? EEEasy to check that.

Usually any old style transmission that jumps out of any gear needs a double gear and input shaft at least. It's pretty easy to spend $700 to $1000 for parts and upgrades to idler shaft ect. I feel the avenger style transmission is a better unit but haven't tried to swap into older unit. I'll bet someone here has and can give some pointers. Good used trany is hard to find, might have to go factory reman. Idd tear it down and price parts first. Follow the shop manual and they come apart pretty easily. Good luck.

Is this your add? 6x6 or 8x8 trans parts

If the trans turns out to be shot, you could always do what Administrator Mike is doing to his Avenger http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...enger-t20.html

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Is this your add? 6x6 or 8x8 trans parts

If the trans turns out to be shot, you could always do what Administrator Mike is doing to his Avenger http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...enger-t20.html
    No that is not my add. I guess it is time to bring the Argo home and start doing some work on it. I have never done any trans work before so im sure I will end up having a bunch more questions. If I do end up having to replace it, am I just picking a trans and doing my best to make it work or is there a trans that will bolt right in with minimal adjustments? Either way I'm ready to get this done. I just realized how tough this thing is this week so I can't wait to have it back in action.

Did you ever figure out your problem? I just caught this was a couple years old. If you still have the TRANS, popping out of reverse was a pretty common problem. The replacement splined shaft is updated to a much deeper V notch for the detent ball to drop in. The old shaft had shallow drilling.

The updated shaft will take a new helical gear, the old was keyed new will be splined. I,m pretty sure you'll need a new double gear too.

The shift fork is retained by a pretty small snap ring, and the fork it,s self doesn't have a whole lot of meat to it. You have to pop the front cover to get to either but they are right there on top to inspect once the cover comes off.

If you need to replace make sure you count teeth on helical gear to order correct part.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread