T-20 center plate not going all the way in

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-20 center plate not going all the way in

T-20 center plate not going all the way in

I'm putting my T20 back together. Starting with the left side I put in the output shaft, input shaft, C clip, sun gear, then the two drums with the gears. The bands are not trapped under the drums and look like they wrap nicely around the drums.

When I try to put the center plate in place I can't get it to go all the way in. I'm missing about 1/4" to get it to meet.

Is there some common rookie mistake I'm making here?

Thanks.

Grease the thrust washer so the tab stays into groove in center hub. The other thing that can hold you up is the inner end of the anchor pin. Usually have to wiggle center plate to get pin into plate. The pin dosent get much purchase in the plate so don't taper it just work it into place.

Is the case half sitting on the input shaft? Assembling it with a hole in the table just big enough for the shaft to poke through and support it by the output sprocket, should do the trick.

also might be the band at opposite end is not around the drum all the way, gets me every time

The right trans half is sitting on blocks. Left side is "rigged" for assy.

The case half was sitting on the input shaft. I'll do something to get the weight off the shaft and try again. I did have the thrust washer gooped in place with some grease and that wasn't the problem. I looked carefully at the brake bands and that looked OK. I hope the shaft turns out to be the thing.

Thank you for the ideas.

I placed the transmission case on a partially open vise so that it rested on the output sprocket instead of the shaft and tapped the shaft jut to be sure. I still wasn't able to get the plate in any deeper. I made sure the hole lined up with the pin that holds the end of the brake band and also made sure the brake bands were evenly wrapped around the drums and not caught in any way. I also tried shifting and turning the drums while pushing them in in case they were somehow being pushed up by the shift mechanism.

I'll take the drums out and try again just in case I didn't get them in all the way for some reason.

I know,dumb question but gotta ask. Are the diamond shifters installed now?
    Taking it back apart and carefully reassembling it is the way to go
    Try to find a couple wood blocks to support the 1/2 by the case itself,not the output shaft.
    Also,try "rigging" the left side to keep the input shaft as far "out" of the case as possible. In my opinion,this is the biggest favor we can do ourselves upon reassembling our T-20's. Read the description with this photo.

The band anchor pin is usually the thing that I must monkey around with to get to mesh. I've snuck in with a 6" scale to bump that pin a fuzz and get it to line up w/the hole in the center plate before.

I put them in after not being able to get the plate in properly. I did not have the shifter in place when I first tried to assemble the transmission. I'll make something like what's in your photo. I can see the band anchor pin lined up perfectly with the hole in the plate, but it just doesn't go any further.

Gravity was not enough to get the input shaft where it needed to be for re-assembly. I made the little jig to hold it pulled out from the usual garage junk and the two halves slipped together like they belonged. Forward and reverse work, the brake bands do their thing as expected. I think I can cross this one off the list. Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread