T-20 re-install... adjusting needed?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-20 re-install... adjusting needed?

T-20 re-install... adjusting needed?

Hi. We're removing the transmission today to replace the secondary clutch center bolt, which broke and left the threaded stud stuck in the shaft.
    Once we get it removed and the trans back in the Max IV do I need to re-adjust the levers? Plungers? Bands?
    I adk because I don't yet own the inch-ounds wrench and the RR adjustment tools he sells. I intend to order the in September.
    Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

You shouldn't have to adjust anything. Once you get the T20 bolted back in and all of the linkage hooked back up, it should operate just like it did before you removed it. If anything is in need of adjusting though, now is the time to do it. For example, if you are having to pull back really hard on either stick to turn or stop, or, if you are having to push forward hard to go forward, the bands should be adjusted.

Thank you Mike. We got the engine and transmission out. I took plenty of pictures during disassembly so I can put it all back together. The T-20 is smaller than I expected. Heavy though.
    The wife wants to clean out the tub next.

Now, the secondary clutch is "stuck" on the shaft. Do I tap it off with a piece of wood/rubber mallet? Do I need a special tool?

I forgot to mention... The secondary clutch is missing one plastic (teflon?) slider. Where can I buy replacements? I suppose Mudd-Ox but is there other places too? Thanks
    (This is our first time messing with this type of clutches)

Mfg supply has everything you need at very good prices and fast shipping... Norm..

Thanks Norm. I will take a look. I have their website in my favorites list to buy their chain.

Regarding my note above about having taken pictures of the disassembly... Most did not work due to grease on the lens. Anyhoo... I can ask you fine folks to guide me.

I got the broken threaded stud out of the shaft with a screw extractor. My cousin says he will help me repair the cam sliders on the clutch. He has plenty of experience due to being a snow machine racer and fixes his own machines.
    We will put the Max back together tomorrow afternoon. Yippee!
    Thanks for all the help.

Follow up... We got the Max IV done. Engine and trans installed. We decided to install new Tsubaki primary trans chains while we in there. Lubed well.
    Test drove it this afternoon. It ran fine. Thanks for all the help guys.

I forgot to mention this... When I was driling out the broken bolt I had the T-20 standing on the other shaft. I noticed a small puddle of trans fluid on the floor. Does this mean the seal is worn out? Will it pose a problem while in the machine ie dripping fluid?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    I forgot to mention this... When I was driling out the broken bolt I had the T-20 standing on the other shaft. I noticed a small puddle of trans fluid on the floor. Does this mean the seal is worn out? Will it pose a problem while in the machine ie dripping fluid?
    Thanks.
    Not necessarily. Under normal conditions, the seal isn't submerged in ATF and having to prevent it from leaking out. It merely provides a barrier to outside contaminants while keeping ATF that is splashed around inside the T20 from getting out. I've had brand new seals do what you describe if I left it on its end for extended periods of time. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts doing that in the machine.

+ Reply to Thread