U-channel clanking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: U-channel clanking

U-channel clanking

Hi. We finished putting the transmission and engine back into the Max IV this evening. The top plungers (I figure) clank now. Sort of a snap sound when moving the laterals. Both sides.
    I don't recall hearing this before.
    I did a search yesterday regarding this, and if I understand it correctly, this is normal since the U-channels pivot on the casing (no bolts like the old style they said).
    Otay, what causes this if it didn't happen before? (I admit it might have but never noticed it).
    I recall the bottom passenger side did click a few times earlier this summer but a few drops of oil silenced it. So, I oiled the top plungers. Still clanks.
    We have not test-drove the Max yet. We will do so tomorrow. I still need to adjust the throttle linkage.
    Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I'm far from an expert on the T-20 but I think what you are experiencing is normal. The U-channels don't pivot on anything so they contact the case when cycling the sticks. This results in the "clank". The only fix I know of is adding the stripper bolts for pivots as described in that thread. I know Whipper has posted some nice stuff on this and member liflod recently posted some of his remedies in his last Attex build thread.

Thank you Joe.

I suppose I can live with it for a while. I figure to install pivot bolts some day.

Rusty,

Mine has made the same noise since the day I picked it up. I figured it must be more-or-less normal or why would they let it out of the factory that way? I'm definitely a newbie though, so take it for what it is worth.

Thank you for responding. I never noticed the sound before but this doesn't mean it never happened before.
    Anyhoo, I plan to buy spare U-channels and do the pivot mods. I've read a few threads on this and it seems to be an easy mod. Eliminates the clanking. If I mess up the U-channels I can always put the originals back in.

Update... I bought a spare set of U-channels from Amphibious Drew, and recieved them today. I can now go forward with the pivot mods this summer. Thanks to Drew, and to every one else here.

I completed the U-channel pivot modification a few days ago. We test drove the Max today. A few things stood out.
    1: the clanking is gone.
    2: the shifting is easier and quivker. Barely any "Max shimmy" needed.
    3: Laterals seem a bit more better. Maybe. Hard to tell.

Bad things...
    1: left lateral is closer to the dash than the right side.
    2: left side turn responce is a bit worse than the other.

I figure the lateral linkages need adjusting to match them up. Correct?
    I need to adjust the right side plungers.

I think the laterals are at different distances is due to the pivot bolt mods. Each U-channel needed to be spaced awsy from the trans casing the thickness of a washer, which moves each U-channel away from the casing, thus altering the original linkage lengthes. Is this correct?

+ Reply to Thread