Clutch, salisbury, older max

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clutch, salisbury, older max

Clutch, salisbury, older max

Finally getting into rebuilding my 2nd max II , it was a basket case but had a good t 20 in it. Im upgrading the engine and puttin an 18 hp briggs in it, and when i was looking at the drive clutch (primary) i found 1 pf the pulley halves, cracked and bent, looks like someone was rough on it and im wanting to replace it. Its the pulley half that slides back and forth so im hoping this makes it cheaper thsn having to replace the whole dang clutch
    I read that comet owns salisbury now. Im not sure how to identify this clutch.
    The markimgs on it are, RPM 5300 and then there is a model # of 141707
    Any suggestions on where to get the pulley part? If any one has one laying around, i would pay you for this part if you might be willing to part with it
    Or any advice on where to get parts for it would be greatly appreciated too

just wanted to add that I found another # on the salsbury clutch. 702967. This number was underneath the collar that is bolted on by 3 small bolts. My outer hub has 5 vent holes and there is no recess where the large shaft bolt goes.

can someone tell me what kind of clutch I have? I will try and post pictures. This clutch was on an older briggs 16 or 14 hp and mated up to a T20 , but came from a swamp fox so there is much mystery here for me to solve

just wanted to add that I found another # on the salsbury clutch. 702967. This number was underneath the collar that is bolted on by 3 small bolts. My outer hub has 5 vent holes and there is no recess where the large shaft bolt goes.

can someone tell me what kind of clutch I have? I will try and post pictures. This clutch was on an older briggs 16 or 14 hp and mated up to a T20 , but came from a swamp fox so there is much mystery here for me to solve

My guess is a 780 series but a picture would help. Here is one from Manufacturing Supply: 302405A-W2 - 780 Series Drive Clutch for Recreatives Ind Max ATVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Click image for larger version

Name:	302405a_2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	12627

I have had great success dealing with Roy at Quality Drive Service, I'll post the Tele # tomorrow so you can ring him. He can help out but I'll tell you now your likely better getting a whole clutch, cause you have to remove the spider to get the outer sheave off.

That may wreck the spider and or it's capability to stay in place. However Green bearing type Locktite and some setscrews go a long way to keeping it in place

JM2CW

Roy is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful an absolute pleasure to deal with; the best customer service I have ever had.

E D I T...

QDS 1.626.293.5770

If no answer leave message and they will call back. Again I can't say enough how helpful they have been.
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 08-28-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

thank you guys - it sure looks like I have a 780 just like Mike said
    and I will call Roy at QDS too

Roy will answer email also. Once the clutch is pressed apart they recommend replacing the spider. Found out the hard way, they slip on the shaft. Can be drilled and pined from the end to act like a key. Best to purchase new clutch unless labor is worth less than a nickel an hour. My thoughts from someone who will fix anything before buying a new one.

Clutch question again , the springs are yellow, this is a 4 stroke,
    Does this sound okay? Im reading up on clutch info, but still am a newbie on the clutch stuff

If anyone has an old 780 clutch laying around ( boy if we had a dollar for everytime we heard that one
    that they might want to sell or tade

HI
    U need to call quality drive systems for the correct springs/weight combination .
    Engagement RPM needs to be 1500-1700rpm
    Go with the lower setting ,as the belt wears down the engage speed rises
    Use the heaviest weight ,this will give u the greatest clamping force on the belt ,then pick the appropriate spring

tomo

+ Reply to Thread