Belt Slipping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Belt Slipping

Belt Slipping

I have noticed when my machine (new Max IV) is pulling hard, the belt tends to slip. The engine doesn't seem to be bogging down more than I would expect. It loads down, but acts like it wants to keep pulling. Is there a modification that will take care of this problem?

I don't think the problem is real serious, but it will cause premature belt wear and it makes an ugly racket.

HI
    How many hours and year . new new or just new to your ownership eg secondhand
    If it is under warranty take it back .
    If its a used machine belt adjustment or replacement .
    U can green scotch brite pad the inside of both clutches where the belt runs
    tomo

Tomo,

It is new new. I received it from the factory in May. I have about 100 hours on the machine. I live in Alaska, though, so I am not sure I can just take it back. I suppose I can have the dealer take a look at it, but this is the first Max he has sold. He is a Mud Ox dealer who became a Max dealer this spring. I do know that Mudd Ox used to install a clutch to drive the hydraulics, so he might have some ideas.

One thing I should mention is that I am running tracks, so the power requirements are quite a bit higher than wheels. I do a lot of swamp running and have found that the tracks keep me on top of the terrain more than wheels. I have run on wheels a little bit since I took delivery and have not noticed the belt slip in those situations. I was wondering if there was an adjustment that might deliver enough power to overcome the belt slip problem? I have noticed that I get a lot of slip in a sharp turn from a standstill; especially when I am in difficult terrain. I know I should avoid turns from a standstill, but that is not always possible when one is threading his way through trees.

belt slipping

belt slipping -- I don't know if it will help but belt tension on a max iv can be adjusted by adding or removing more or less of the split washer shims under the engine on top of the engine pedestal. You probably already know this ,if so please ignore.

Check your belt tension. It could be as simple as tightening the belt. After 100 hours, the belt could have worn enough to slip under load. You can shim the engine up on the stand a little more to tighten the belt.

Edit: Philip beat me to it.
    Last edited by Mike; 08-31-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added comment

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the tension. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

+ Reply to Thread