What you know about clutches?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What you know about clutches?

What you know about clutches?

Tearing into the magnum over the last few weeks has led me to taking apart the clutch. I've had my fair share of clutches apart, and the powerbloc seems to be pretty simple and effective. But, the stationary sheave does not want to come off the engine, and the secondary doesn't want to come off the transmission input shaft. So, I know the primary is going to need a bit of work even if I can get it off the engine.

Since I will need to get a PTO shaft and plate made for the yanmar, I was thinking if I use a snowmobile clutch, I can get the PTO made as a tapered shaft.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

I don't think you could ever get a 2 or 4 cycle snowmobile drive clutch tuned down to engage and pull properly @ low RPMS, We have made and used many tapered PTO's shafts over the yrs.
    Kawasaki mules and John Deere gators ran a nice tapered drive clutch. If you don't mind spending a little more money than this is a bullet proof and fully tunable unit.

1" Straight Shaft Roller Clutch

That clutch is probably threaded on the crank.

The Kohler clutch, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    I don't think you could ever get a 2 or 4 cycle snowmobile drive clutch tuned down to engage and pull properly @ low RPMS, We have made and used many tapered PTO's shafts over the yrs.
    Kawasaki mules and John Deere gators ran a nice tapered drive clutch. If you don't mind spending a little more money than this is a bullet proof and fully tunable unit.

1" Straight Shaft Roller Clutch

how much? how tunable, can it be made to work for a diesel? engage 900 rpm full shift by 3400 and top rpm of 4K
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I never tried to get down to the 900 rpm range but that one listed shifts out @ 3,600 with a matched driven. there 400 bucks but are the best out there, give em' a call

Aftermarket & Motorsports Products & Sales
    If you are a retail customer interested in TEAM Aftermarket performance products, retail orders, technical assistance, tuning recommendations, and other "shop talk," please contactTEAM Aftermarket at:
    Email: TEAMMotorsports@TEAM-IND.com
    Phone: 218-844-3283 Tech Line Direct: 218-846-6305

It interests me. $400 + ship & customs might be a little more than SWMBO will allow right now, since we might get stuck owning two houses for a while. We shall see.

Riotwarrior, if you find out how tunable it is, pass on the info. I don't know how low my idle is going to be yet, but I'd like it to engage a little lower than just mid range. I'll be able to go to 3650rpm with the yanmar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    It interests me. $400 + ship & customs might be a little more than SWMBO will allow right now, since we might get stuck owning two houses for a while. We shall see.

Riotwarrior, if you find out how tunable it is, pass on the info. I don't know how low my idle is going to be yet, but I'd like it to engage a little lower than just mid range. I'll be able to go to 3650rpm with the yanmar.
    Ill check with them next week, it is quite a bit more $$$ than I'd like to spend and I think I would work on replacing my secondary first for now but I will investigate it thoroughly.

I just for chitz n gigglz ahem...turned up the throttle stop on my IP and now have gone from about 3600..+- to an indicated 4015 +- RPM and my primary 780 clutch with new weights springs is at full shift, I can't wait to try it with the new full **** and 4K rpm and running down the road, I'm guessing near 20 mph or more, last test was with gas and I got a total of 17 mph downhill.

Rudy I assure you, you will not be disappointed with going the diesel route what so ever, not ever remotely as it just chugs n tugs along.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Have a tapered one off Gator for 150. plus shipping, has tapered shaft unless you want to turn it or the pto shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Have a tapered one off Gator for 150. plus shipping, has tapered shaft unless you want to turn it or the pto shaft.
    Primary or Secondary? LOL
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread