Needing some advice on fixing loose spider on a salsbury clutch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Needing some advice on fixing loose spider on a salsbury clutch

Needing some advice on fixing loose spider on a salsbury clutch

I HAVE A OLDER MAX II AND THE OTHER DAY ON A P.M. I FOUND THAT THE CLUTCH OUTER HAVE IS SPINNING LIKE ITS ON A BEARING. THIS PUZZLED ME BECAUSE IT SHOULD NOT DO THIS. MY QUESTION HERE IS WHAT IS THE BEST FIX FOR THIS CONDITION? OPON DISSAMBLY THE SPIDER HAS SPUN THE SPLINES OUT OF ITS SELF. WHAT CAUSES THIS CONDITION?? AND IS THERE A MORE SECURE WAY TO FIX THAN JUST TRYING TO CLEAN THE SHAFT SPLINES THAN LOCKTITE GREEN THAT I TRIED? ALSO THOUGHT OF DRILL AND TAP A PAIR OF SET SCREW HOLES IN THE SPIDER BUT WAS NOT SURE HOW HARD THE SCREWS HOLDING THE SPRINGS WERE TO REMOVE WITH SPRING PRESSURE ON THEM??

You can remove the springs from the cam arms by prying them off with a screwdriver or a small pair of pliers. After that, the cam arm bolts just unscrew (after bending down the steel lock tab on each screw). I'm afraid that you're probably going to need to replace the spider if the splines are spun out of it. Locktite and/or set screws are likely to fail more easily than the original splines. You can find the spiders on eBay.

Salsbury Drive Clutch Spider Assy 600833 601216 Snowmobiles ATV Others | eBay

I don't know what actually causes the condition in the first place, but I've seen it happen a few times.

I have a 1996 MAX II with a 14 hp briggs. it has a salsbury clutch with a straight shaft. One of the three skull cap bolts broke the top off and seems to be stuck. the skull cap is cracked and a couple of the springs are broken. I bought a new clutch for around $250 from, I believe, MG manufacturing or something like that. They were recommended on this site and I am pleased so far. That would be my recommendation. However if you would like my old salsbury for parts you can have it for the price of shipping. Not certain what is salvageable, it did drive when I bought it. If you want it, e-mail me at ehietala1@yahoo.com I will probably throw it away in a few weeks otherwise. Either way best of luck.

I finally came up with a permeate and what I believe will be a bomb proof fix for this condition. what I did was completely disassembled the clutch down to the shaft and spider than indexed the spider to the shaft and drilled through both the spider and shaft and placed three roll pins to hold spider in place. the pins I used are short so not to protrude to far in to the engine shaft but were flush on the outside above the rollers. takin' it to the woods this weekend to try it out

Snowmobile Parts, Go Kart Parts, Lawnmower Parts, ATV Parts, and more | MFG Supply
    I think is the website refered to here. They carry a direct-replacement clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I have a 1996 MAX II with a 14 hp briggs. it has a salsbury clutch with a straight shaft. One of the three skull cap bolts broke the top off and seems to be stuck. the skull cap is cracked and a couple of the springs are broken. I bought a new clutch for around $250 from, I believe, MG manufacturing or something like that. They were recommended on this site and I am pleased so far. That would be my recommendation. However if you would like my old salsbury for parts you can have it for the price of shipping. Not certain what is salvageable, it did drive when I bought it. If you want it, e-mail me at ehietala1@yahoo.com I will probably throw it away in a few weeks otherwise. Either way best of luck.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

the Salisbury manual recommends replacing the spider if it is removed from the shaft. I've had them fail if reinstalled. I set clutch up in a drill press and drill endways into the hub and spider forming a round key of sorts. then install three split roll pins and reassemble. My kid has one he destroyed in 2005 that is still going strong.

roy at quality drive can get new spider

i biut a clutch like yers...knew going in it was spun...dissassembled it cleaned thoroughly added locktite green and three set screws....has not let me down yet!

JM2CW
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread