T 20 right side top shifter keeps popping out. Is there fix.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T 20 right side top shifter keeps popping out. Is there fix.

Talking T 20 right side top shifter keeps popping out. Is there fix.

My Max IV is repowered with a oversized Comet Clutch,and a twenty four h.p. Motor. Honda. Just having fits with the shifter popping out. My personal 6x6 power wheelchair. The v.a. Has never seen the necessity to help with a wheelchair van or anything else. So I need a cheap fix on this trany. With all splined shafts and Tsubaki high end chain throughout. Also all the sprockets have splined shaft slots. So she should not get slowed by anything. But this keeps tranny crap keeps accruing. I can be reached at tmelvin2@yahoo.com 8044754970 in Olympia Wa. Thanks Old Hippie

hi
    To verify is the triangle shifter popping up or is the transmission jumping out of forward or reverse on that side .
    Triangle popping up -u need a retainer plate located between the 2 upper holes
    or
    If jumping out of fwd /rev most likely the detent spring is broken

tomo

There could be a handful of things causing this. The linkage could be binding or not adjusted properly, causing it to pop out. Check that first. The diamond shifter pin could be worn, causing it not to fully engage and ultimately pop out of gear. Check that next since you can do that with the T20 in the machine. If neither of those are the culprit, it's probably time to split the T20 open.

You could have a bad detent spring. The shift collar and carrier plate could have worn teeth also. Just open it up and inspect it and you will probably find out what it is.

Max IV shifter popping out

I have a old T20 that I pulled apart,and rebuilt. It runs up great but the shifter on the right side looking forward won't stay in. If I rock her back ,and forth it will get back in. Was this a design problem. My first reaction is to make a tab to hold it down. Thanks Ted
    Last edited by Mike; 10-17-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topis

hi
    sounds like a shift collar detent spring is not working/broken

tomo

+ Reply to Thread