Laterals pop

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Laterals pop

Laterals pop

After rebuilding my T-20 with the dual o-ring plunger the laterals kinda pop in and out? I thought this was just the new o-rings needing to get worn in a little but it's been all summer and they still do it. Is this normal or should i worry about it?

Thanks
    Steven Untiet

Very common to have them snap back. Some people pin the u-chanel to the boss on the case. Buggyman may have pics. I spray mine with WD 40 at the plungers when it bothers me, helps a bit.

t-20.jpgIMG_1023.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1019.jpgIMG_0930.jpg

Hopefully pictures can explain better than words.

I can not take credit for the idea though. The original idea belongs to Whipper. He posted details about it several years ago.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 06:37 PM.

It would seem like picture number three would solve the problem. The plungers kind of pop in and out when i move the laterals? They are not smooth like they were with the single o ring plungers?
    Steven Untiet

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 04:47 PM.

My t-20 has the channel bars on it can I convert to the flat bar style in picture 3? It seems to me that set up takes all the play out. Or does the tranny need the space between the bolt head and the little pin when it pushes the plungers back in?
    Steven Untiet

The old "pop cycle stick" (pre '75?) transmissions did have less slop. Putting the pivot pin in the "U channel" type helps a lot, but is not perfect.
    The old style had its drawbacks too. The sticks can bend, and it is more time consuming to adjust.
    The way I see it, you have 2 options: Buy an old style case, or machine the one you have. The pivot for the pop cycle sticks is at a different angle than the U channel pivot. Notice the flat bar is on one side of the upper eye bolt, but on the opposite side of the bottom. The flat bar must come completely off to get the clearance to spin eye bolts in/out for adjustments.

+ Reply to Thread