Vented fill plug leaks/LS additive or not?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vented fill plug leaks/LS additive or not?

Vented fill plug leaks/LS additive or not?

Hi.
    I got my 1986 hustler up and running, finally. I noticed that the upper (vented) fill plug keeps leaking. What could fix that? Will one of my seals blow, if I seal the plug?
    I read the how to on route6x6.com and it says, that late models need Limited slip additive, but I doesn't say, when late model starts.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Don't seal the plug. The fluid/pressure is needing to escape and if it doesn't do it through the plug, it will do it through your seals like you mentioned. First, make sure it is not overfilled. With the transmission level, remove the lower plug and make sure no fluid is coming out. Even if it is filled properly, sometimes the heat of the transmission combined with bouncing around and odd trail angles will still cause some fluid coming out of the vent hole. Don't let it bother you unless it is a lot of fluid.

As for the limited slip additive, you can add that to any T20. It won't hurt anything.

Like mike said Don't plug it.when I got my 90something max4 someone had already plugged the t20.I blu the left side seal blasting down a farm road,at first I thought someone shot at me,and then came the smoke from the trans fluid spraying on the exhaust,no fun! I got some pipe fittings to go from plug to 1/4 inch tygon tubing and zip tied a loop well above any expected water level,works4me.

Thanks for your responses.
    I thought so, that a little spill is normal. I think I'll do the same as you, bill. I got a brass fitting, that fits the transmission hole. I'll drill through it, and put a hose on there.

Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kerosin View Post
    Thanks for your responses.
    I thought so, that a little spill is normal. I think I'll do the same as you, bill. I got a brass fitting, that fits the transmission hole. I'll drill through it, and put a hose on there.

Thank you guys!
    I fought and fought with a some type of vent for my transmission...Mind you not same as yours it was sealed tighter n a ducks butt....and would puke fluid once warm like a puking gator...all over the place.

I devised an IED for my transmission and so far it's the answer....Improvised Expansion Device line comes in from trans..and a tiny hole at top that allows air in and out but likely won't puke a ton of fluid in case of roll over. I'll later on add a fuel tank vent with roll over valve into the IED and be like Ya I'm golden!

Here is the IED installed 1/2" ID hose goes to a 1/2" NPT fitting with male 1/2" barb fitting...

teeny hole in top

can see fitting on bottom here
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Thank you, riotwarrior. You solution looks great!

+ Reply to Thread