Argo conquest trans 'freshen up'

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo conquest trans 'freshen up'

Argo conquest trans 'freshen up'

hi there,

just wondering if anyone can point me towards a good resource on refreshing an Argo conquest trans?

I was thinking of just replacing all the bearings in it....

The one I have doesn't sound too good, and doesn't shift unless the clutch assembly is stationary

...also sounds like bolts in a blender...

I have just managed to download the service manual.... looks fairly straight forward...

finding the time is going to be the hard part...

Follow the manual. Its very straight forward. Check you transmission model number before you start. Order a gasket, oil seals, and blanking plates before you start. The tranny was my first argo project. The manual is very clear on removal, and splitting the tranny. I didn't disassemble the differential unit, as my problem was on the reverse idler shaft. Take Pictures as you take it apart, and ay attention to the orientation of the gears. I wouldn't try it without a service manual in hand.

thanks for the advice.

I also must make a new friend with a bearing press

I hope it's just the bearings that need replacing.

the price on the gears is a bit shocking....

Where did you get your transmission parts from. I thinking of doing the same thing down the road before something do,s go wrong.

No parts as yet... Still doing my homework

I did mine with only simple tools, and the parts manual drawing. Make sure you have a freezer available, and a bearing heater (hot plate with a piece of sheet metal on it). You will need to take the differential apart to get all the bearings changed. None of it is hard to do. Just be patient and take your time. Don't force anything because stuff is expensive if you break it.

I ordered gaskets and gears from our local argo dealer. I have one of the early transmissions (CHK Series) and was scared parts wouldn't be available. I didn't really like the price but what I needed was available, so ya gotta pay to play. Bearings, Oil Seals, and Blanking plates I ordered from a local industrial bearing supply. Gears are pricey, $100 for the reverse idler gear here, I didn't price out the rest.

Yes - I'm hoping that I don;t need any new gears!!!

first thing I need to do is service the driven clutch and then give it another test run to see what the real transmission noises are...

reverse sounds horrid!! like someone is strangling a feral cat!!!

Reverse gear idler 34-16

Apparently the reverse idler gear is upgrade from oilite brass bushings to bearings and that cost 90 usd to change.

Any experience is IT really needed to change to the new 34-16a reverse idler gear with bearing ?

Regards
    Knut

+ Reply to Thread