60 chain sprockets for t20 output shafts

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 60 chain sprockets for t20 output shafts

60 chain sprockets for t20 output shafts

Has anyone ever changed the sprockets on a t20 to 60 chain sprockets?
    A friend and I are changing his whole MAX II machine over to 60 chain on everything and only thing we are having trouble with is figuring out if they already offer sprockets we could press right into place on his tranny output shafts. Will be simple to change the jackshaft sprocket and such but we would like to just purchase something ready to go on.

I think Mike had some made for his t20 Argo project. Usually have to weld replacement sprockets to output shafts if not knurled internally like original equipment. Tsubaki #530 sigma chain has a higher strength rating than ansi #60. It's expensive but lasts forever if cared for. I run it for main drop chains in buffalo trucks that get run very hard.

I swapped in #60 sprockets onto the T-20 in the Newt. The picture doesn't show a lot of detail, but those are meaty #60s hanging out there.

No manufacturer currently offers the sprockets that'll directly fit the T-20 output shafts; you have to have them bored out and serrated from a regular "plate" sprocket and then press them on (or have someone press them on for you...) Whipper did mine for me, since I lack the ability to serrate them.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I swapped in #60 sprockets onto the T-20 in the Newt. The picture doesn't show a lot of detail, but those are meaty #60s hanging out there.

No manufacturer currently offers the sprockets that'll directly fit the T-20 output shafts; you have to have them bored out and serrated from a regular "plate" sprocket and then press them on (or have someone press them on for you...) Whipper did mine for me, since I lack the ability to serrate them.
    Thanks mike. I Kind of figured talking to whipper was going to be the best way to go. Did you send him your output shafts and he swapped sprockets for you? Did you send a 60 chain sprocket with it? Because we are thinking of adding some teeth/diameter also for speed.

Yes, I sent him the output shafts. Whipper ordered up the hardened Martin sprockets and just did the machining and assembly for me out there. I forget what actual tooth count I went with on the output sprocket, but it was roughly the same diameter as the stock #50 output sprocket to keep the coveted 15 to 26 drive ratio between the T-20 and the first drive sprocket. It was 13 teeth, I believe.... going to a 24 tooth driven sprocket on the center axle. With the range box in low, it'll basically be equivalent to a #50 chain machine running stock 15 teeth on the T-20 with a 52 tooth primary sprocket. She crawls nice.
    Last edited by hydromike; 12-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Yes, I sent him the output shafts. Whipper ordered up the hardened Martin sprockets and just did the machining and assembly for me out there. I forget what actual tooth count I went with on the output sprocket, but it was roughly the same diameter as the stock #50 output sprocket to keep the coveted 15 to 26 drive ratio between the T-20 and the first drive sprocket. It was 13 teeth, I believe.... going to a 24 tooth driven sprocket on the center axle. With the range box in low, it'll be basically be equivalent to a #50 chain machine running stock 15 teeth on the T-20 with a 52 tooth primary sprocket. She crawls nice.
    Thats awesome. Thanks mike. We will contact whipper for this one. thanks again

Whipper has a lot of experience in this department.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 03-02-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Otay... How do we locate Whipper? Website of his? Phone number? Private message if it don't violate rules here? Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Whipper and Bridget are GREAT people. Give them a call and they'll take good care of you. (623) 934-7144. I know MaxIVMark did this #60 chain sprocket setup with the T-20 in his Max IV and it worked out very well.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thank you.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread