repairing reverse teeth in T20 ring gear drums

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: repairing reverse teeth in T20 ring gear drums

repairing reverse teeth in T20 ring gear drums

So with a pile of ring gear drums I just couldn't stand to throw away, I started on a quest to repair them. I've rebuilt automatic transmission for 40+ years and was always able to get remanufactured hard parts. At. $200 + new T20 ring gear drums are expensive. I started out salvaging the reverse teeth from drums that were not repairable. By machining the damage teeth out and pressing the insert in, then pinning in place I was able to effectively repair some. Wanting a hardened insert I sent a drum with insert to Whipper hoping he could cut the teeth for new inserts. He liked the idea but the correct gear cutter was way expensive. Next trick was to see if a waterjet cutter could copy the tooth pattern. I spent a lot of time with a draftsman making drawing and had aluminum prototype cut. Sent that to Whipper to check the tooth profile, all good. He suggested that the parts be cut from 1045 steel so they would harden well. Had a batch cut and did the machine work. Heat treat at home was a busts so again I sent them to Whipper to have treated with some of his products. Big thanks here Whipper it wouldn't have happened with out your help.
    So far Ive installed 9 and have three in working transmissions. The inserts are harder than the factory teeth ,not quite as hard as drive plates.
    Last edited by msafi65; 02-28-2015 at 03:24 AM. Reason: adding pics

Also been salvaging ring gears from bad drums and inserting in usable drums that had worn out gears. haven't run any of these yet but have done a few. this isn't cost effective at all but its winter and I had some spare time.

The cut away shows how much material there is to work with. That drum was cracked from the center through the outer ring and had run that way maybe for years.

Cool stuff. I find this to be quite interesting. A lot of work though. I wish I could do stuff like this.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

i am looking to do the same thing you did. do you know if the gear are available? whats the pitch and kind of gears.

Hey Mark, do you sell this inserted? I just lost reverse on one side of my machine and I’m guessing this is why.
    Thanks
    Dave

Yep my teeth are half worn off! Crap, If you have one of these inserts heat treated and ready to go I would gladly buy one from you Mark?
    let me know
    Thanks
    Dave

Dave you may want to try him on the other site, he hasn't been round here for a while that I know of. Sent him a link to a deal up there a bit back and never heard good or bad of it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Dave you may want to try him on the other site, he hasn't been round here for a while that I know of. Sent him a link to a deal up there a bit back and never heard good or bad of it.
    Got ahold of him Jim. Had his phone number the whole time. Dementia setting in early! LOL
    THANKS
    he’s setting me up. All is well.

What is the "other site"? Route6x6? Is there another one? Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    What is the "other site"? Route6x6? Is there another one? Thanks.
    6x6talk.com

+ Reply to Thread