T-20 Output shaft lifespan?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-20 Output shaft lifespan?

T-20 Output shaft lifespan?

Hi. I have a question regarding the output shaft's lifespan. Roughly how many times can these shafts be re-sprocked? I've read a few posts about removing the sprockets and new ones pressed on (tack welde as necessary). But I am curious how many times can this be done? Has anyone done this three times? Four times?
    I ask because its cheaper to replace the sprockets than buying new shafts. Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I think Whipper would be the guy to talk to about this one.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I sent him a PM about sprockets earlier today. I'll have to ask him when he responds.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Hi. I have a question regarding the output shaft's lifespan. Roughly how many times can these shafts be re-sprocked? I've read a few posts about removing the sprockets and new ones pressed on (tack welde as necessary). But I am curious how many times can this be done? Has anyone done this three times? Four times?
    I ask because its cheaper to replace the sprockets than buying new shafts. Thanks.
    Unfortunately it is not recommended to replace a sprocket on a T-20 output shaft. The output shaft is machined with splines and the sprocket is machined with a tight tolerance and should only be pressed on. Any welding can weaken the output shaft. The splines on the output shaft hold the sprocket best on the first press fit. If you press off an old sprocket the splines are not as sharp and to size as when new.

I understand it is a added cost to purchase a new output shaft with sprocket rather than welding on a new sprocket on a old shaft but it is the safest and only way as a manufacture I can recommended.

Matt

Thanks Matt. No welding is recommended. Whipper told me in a PM he doesn't weld them either.
    Newly made shafts have their sprockets pressed on. Easy to understand.
    A few guys here say they have pressed on new replacement sprockets. As this saves some money. Easy to understand.
    Whether it can be done many more times after, I figure it might depend on the shaft splines condition and if they might hold the sprockets tightly. A Machinist, like Whipper, might be able to bore a tighter sprocket hole for a tight fit. Maybe touch-up the splines. Costs begin to go up by this point.
    Good discusdion. I enjoy learning things like this. Thanks.

Assuming I can buy spare sprockets, is it very differcult to press them back on? I have a friend who works for the City shop and can press them on. What else needs to be done before? Obviouly the worn sprocket needs to be removed. Clean the shaft. Inspect the splines. Check fit of new sprocket. Press on if it is tight. Like this?

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Thank you Whipper. Sounds easy enough. I do apreciate it.

According.to the Mudd-Ox/Max website these sprockets are discontinued. So ends the discussion. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 04:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread