Tranny fluid level question in Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tranny fluid level question in Argo

Tranny fluid level question in Argo

I just drained & refilled my old 80s IC Argo tranny.
    I used a vacuum pump to remove old fluid & did as manual stated refilling it with 40oz of new fluid (Amsoil sever service synthetic.). This put me SIGNIFICANTLY over the full mark on the dipstick.
    There is no sign of old fluid mixed with the new so I am confident I got all the old stuff out. It functions fine as is.
    Suggestions?

28 oz.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Jim, I don't doubt your capacity info a bit as that would line up with the mark on the dip stick.
    BUT, I have to ask where you found it?
    Quoting my operators manual (Pg 20 part # 671) it says
    "Refilling Transmission
    Refill the transmission through the oil fill with 40 oz (1.2L) of 80 W 90 Gear Lube HYPOY-C.
    ... The oil level is correct when it is even with the grove on the dipstick. ..."

Now obviously there is a mistake in the manual as those two do NOT correlate on my machine which as far as I can figure is a KB model (17hp Kohler, double roller #50 chain, hydraulic brakes).
    Is there another manual I should be getting? At $15 a quart I'm bummed I wasted 12oz!

Vacuum some of the fluid out until it is at the mark on the dipstick.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

That's my plan Rusty, just bummed that I had to buy & open a second quart at $15 per quart & will now be throwing almost half of it away.
    Also wondering where I can get better info than the original manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    That's my plan Rusty, just bummed that I had to buy & open a second quart at $15 per quart & will now be throwing almost half of it away.
    Also wondering where I can get better info than the original manual.
    well next time you suck out oil from something....measu4e that and reaffirm the amount needed

lesson learned
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    well next time you suck out oil from something....measu4e that and reaffirm the amount needed

lesson learned
    Yup, that would have worked, although it still would have left me scratching my head as to whether the book was wrong or the dipstick was... :-) As an ex-aircraft/helicopter mechanic EVERYTHING starts with the book :-)
    Unfortunately I pumped it straight into my waste oil jug.

+ Reply to Thread