T20 Clicking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T20 Clicking

T20 Clicking

I have a 1997 Max IV and I can shift the T20 into forward or reverse and it moves but after awhile it will start clicking like the gears are grinding. If I shift it back into neutral and select the opposite direct it seems to correct itself. I am not sure what the issue is, I haven't pulled the shifter pins yet as that requires removing the whole motor. Anyone ever have similar issues? The bands are less than 2 yrs old and the trans fluid is pretty fresh as I just haven't put many hours on this machine. Thanks for the help!

1st I would park it until I could pull the shifter. I just ripped my sons apart and it had a bad annular bearing that has a click. I had never run that t-20 that was in that machine. I could imagine it would had clicked like crazy with a load on it. Start by pulling shift pins. Is the bands working correctly? Are you sure it is not the secondary clutch? I am not sure when they started putting thrust washers which mine does not have. T-20 can get expensive quick when things go wrong. Good luck.

More often than not I find a clicking noise is from a drive chain. On a max 4 I would closely check for any movement sideways of the rear sprockets or a moving axle. The main chains can contact the adjuster bars and changing directions will walk the sprocket back temporarily. More common with setscrew rear sprockets. Just look at the axles and bearings for any sign of movement before getting into the T20. Good luck some of these are hard to find.

[QUOTE=msafi65;190703]More often than not I find a clicking noise is from a drive chain.

Yep,here's what I found on my Argo.

+ Reply to Thread