First and secondary clutch out of alignment...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First and secondary clutch out of alignment...

First and secondary clutch out of alignment...

Hello!
    My restoration of my 1994 conquest is almost over and its close to testdrive!
    But I have problems with the clutches,the secondary clutch is allways turning,also with low idle. I have replaced the primary (engine) clutch with a new one and there is a new belt (both argo).
    When checking,I see that they doesnt seem to align. If I take a ruler and put it on the side of the secondary clutch (tranny) and meassure where it align on the engine cluch it seems that it is 7mm of centre. Should I shim the secondary clutch out so it get aligned?
    Also,when the secondary opens fully,it touches the idlechains on that side.
    See this video: https://youtu.be/L3I8OhCL5rc
    I didnt rev it up so it would toutch on the video thou..
    Anyone had this problem with the clutches..?

Regards. Mattias in Sweden
    Last edited by MattiasT; 05-05-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Many machines came with 2 shims between the trans and driven, check the later parts manuals for shim numbers. The shims were there for contact issues, also if your clutch is off twist it slightly by hand and using both hands check for side to side play in the bushing.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

You can set your idle quite a bit lower than that too. Mine is so low it's barely running. Lately it idles itself up, but if I give it a quick rev of the throttle it dies back down to nothing long enough to shift. Mine used to not move the secondary at idle but after I did some stuff to "fix" it, and replaced the ancient belt with a new one it now spins full time like yours.

Thanks guys!
    It means the world for me to be able to go here for advice!
    I put two shims on the secondary clutch (pushing it to the left side and now it won't touch the chain!
    Yesterday it was the first test drive and it went ok,if you consider that it been under water on and off for five years..!
    Some adjustments on the brakes and I found out that the brake cooling fan has died again..
    Well,I bought another fan today (for removing fuelgases from engine compartments in boats) today and I will try that one sinche Argo fans are extremely expensive...
    I will kee you posted!
    Mattias

+ Reply to Thread