Why would the Plunger get real sticky?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why would the Plunger get real sticky?

Why would the Plunger get real sticky?

My plunger on my T-20 has gotten real sticky. I know I could probably change the fluid out again, but it I'm not sure that it needs it. I have found over the last couple of weeks the plunger has gotten worse. Any ideas?
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

There may be some dirt/contaminants in there? You can wash the hole out and then coat with oil to see if that helps. If you have the standard U channels operating the plungers, they are sloppy and will cause the plunger to stick some. How bad has it gotten?

Mike I took the plunger long arm, leading to the steering controls off right at the steering connection at the bottom of the laterals. I found that the lateral is the sticky part of the equation. Why - might be because some water may have gotten into the arms and rusted in the inside. Soooo, I put a plastic hose in the top hole of the handle on the lateral and ran a silicone spray down inside. I put enough that I am going to leave it overnight and see if it loosens up. I keep the Max inside but have had it out in some pretty big downfalls of rain. It may have gotten enough inside to rust it. We'll see. And I'll let you know how it worked.

Good deal, it sounds like you are on the right track. I hope the lubricant does the trick. If not, you can always disassemble the laterals enough to let you sand away some rust if needed.

On real bad ones the pivot pin has to be removed and cleaned. The owners manual states you are to put a few drops of oil in the hole in center of the handles regularly. Iv had them so stuck I had to saw the pin out and press it out of the stick. I pour a few drops down the sticks when changing oil. Just the drips from oil jug work.

When I do some random maintenance again. I will put some oil in on the pivot point.

I was mentioning this issue to my dad. He suggested removing the laterals from the shaft. Then, weld a couple nuts together then on each of the laterals. Next, drill a small hole thru inside each of the stacked welded nuts. Screw in grease fittings in each. Now an easy lube option. Sound like a possible?
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

The sticks are drilled in the bottom to allow oil to run out onto the pivot. Water also gets in there and it dosent get lubed often.

+ Reply to Thread