Belt slip - clutch modification???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Belt slip - clutch modification???

Thanks for all your imput, I did just what you said I pulled the clutch put 2 washers behind it which lined it up, put the old original belt back on, ordered a new one today and drove for 2 hrs the only thing I need to do is put washers under the engine stool because I have about 2- 2 1/4 inches of belt play. As far as the $95.00 per hr mechanic, I figure at the rate I'm breaking stuff I better learn how to fix some of it. I haven't even started on the max2 yet and it seems like it has MORE stuff that can go wrong. Once again thanks to all of you, tomorrow I will make shure to make a contribution to this site, you saved me money today. Almost forgot When driving at almost 3/4 throttle and sometimes full the belt goes approx 1/2 inch from the top of the clutch I was under the impression from some other posts it should be at the top or just a bit under???

It may be worn thin some making it ride LOW in the clutch. I would fit the new belt Before lifting the engine up
    As for a $95. per Hour Mechanic
    I need to relook into My shop rate !
    I don't charge that when I work on Big Rig's !!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Attachment 15586Attachment 15587

I hope these pics show what I'm trying to show. The belt is glazed. I sanded a portion of it so you could see the shiny (glazed) part versus the unglazed part.

The other pic is the drive clutch surface. You can see the slick portion versus the portion that I have sanded. It will be interesting to see how long the roughed part stays rough.
    Going to pull clutches and give them a heavy rough up like this. What grit sandpaper did you use? I used 360 I believe and it hardly left many scratches. I just don't want to do irreversible damage.

Also can you link where you bought the Red spring? I think I will try the same thing you did to see if that fixes my problem.

Thanks.
    Last edited by allwheeldrive; 02-23-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Question

All wheel my spring came from richards relics but I can't seem to find it. Go to max6x6.com and search for 300397C DRIVEN SPRING RED 780 DRIVEN - COMET
    This is the same spring.

I think I used about 150 grit. You won't do any harm. Just scuff the pulley sheaves with your motions being along the diameter of each sheave....so the scuffs are perpendicular to the belt. You just want to get rid of the shine.

Thanks for getting back so quick Dirtdobber. I realize now that the standard 780 Comet Driven Clutch looks like this: 300782A - 780 Series Driven Clutch for Recreatives Ind Max ATVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply ? I believe. If so I do not think the spring will work as the Stock Driven clutch on the Coot does not appear to be the same unit. (sadly no picks with me) I will have to find out what kind of springs and what upgrade springs for the driven unit are.

I was lazy and sanded in the direction of rotation. I'll have to try making the scratches perpendicular as described should work better.

+ Reply to Thread