driver clutch help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: driver clutch help

My 2 cents....which is consistent with the wedge and msafi65....

The chevron pattern is designed to be a self cleaning tread (I have plowed many a thousand acres in reliance on chevron tread tires). If you think of the chevrons as arrows, and point the arrows on the tire in the direction of rotation, then the treads will dig a hole and clean themselves (to a certain extent, depending on soil type and wetness) - good traction on the ground, but bad traction in the water. Turn the tire around and you get the opposite effect. I run all 6 of my tires backwards, meaning the arrow points in reverse rotation because 1) I don't want to dig my hole any deeper, and 2) because of my low ground clearance I prefer that little extra bit of traction in hopes of being able to back out of a bad spot.

I always wondered why the tires on the 6x6's were all backwards where the tread on everything else I have points forward.

This is correct. Though any lack of "digging" can only be a direct result of clogged treads. I mean otherwise. If there is no mud in the treads the V is going to work just as good forward or backwards. But essentially run them backwards for water. Since they are "grabbing" the water. Run them forwards to expel water and mud to keep tread clean and traction high. There is a LOT of relative stuff going on here though and it's never as simple as it first appears. One good example is I tear up my yard in the winter a lot less with snow chains. Even though snow chains are the ultimate digging tire tread possible. The reason is: If you don't lose traction you don't spin you don't dig holes. Even a bald tire always getting stuck spinning can dig ruts eventually. That said considering all the types of mud and muck it's hard to know what any given combo will do at any given wheel speed. All I know is the 26 Inch Goodyear Super Terra Grip are the only tire I've seen enough used in forwards and reverse operation to understand. Max IV’s us them in reverse and TerraJets Forwards. The TerraJet swims faster backwards then forwards and the MaxIV faster forward than reverse so that confirms the idea that having the tires reversed increases swim speed. That said the MaxIV has incredible traction off road, but I think the Terra Jet has even more (some of the things TerraJets climb up boggle the mind) Also with the V tread pointing forward and with the 2-stroke in the TerraJet I have never seen those tires pack with mud they must be the ultimate self cleaning tire because I have seen everything else get slick in similar conditions including all of the most Outrageous ATV and R2 rice and cane tires. . I would seriously like to see one of those 60+ HP Polaris Highlifter ATV with a set of 26 Inch Goodyear Super Terra Grips.

By forward I mean traditional V pointing to ground viewed from front, and reverse as the ^ pointing up like on AATVs

You for sure answered my question. I am running the 26 inch Terra Grips, they do a good job. Where I live, there are huge rocks and the tires climb over them ok. I run over the rock instead of trying to straddle them, don't want to high center and poke holes in the tub. Wish my Max IV had more ground clearance!

I think most people with 21" tire machines dream of Max IV ground clearance lol. The Max IV with 26" tires has at least twice the clearance that my old Scrambler had, that was... pitiful.

Does anyone know of a replacement gas cap that will fit a max 2, that has a gauge in it?

Got mine from Max6x6.com

What price range was it?

don't remember thinking $20 or so

+ Reply to Thread