driver clutch help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: driver clutch help

Hybrid View

driver clutch help

I have a max 2 with 14 hp briggs. I am very new to the 6 x 6 world, so this may be a easy question. It seems that my driver clutch is stuck open, or i think it is open. The belt is laying down at the bottom of the shaft. When the engine is throttled up should i be able to see the clutch close up and the belt ride to the top? If so, what should I try to do to free it up?

I assume you have a comet 780 clutch setup. it should function like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkUjcR-opE

There should be three small bolts and a snap ring that hold the dome cover on the clutch. Also there should be metal tabs bent against the head of the bolt to prevent loosening. bend the tabs out of the way and take the cover off. Perhaps all the moving parts have become corroded and won't let the clutch move. Oil is your enemy on the clutch because it will make the belt slip, BUT, I don't know how well non-petroleum based lubricants penetrate.

So from the video it looks like I have another problem. My driven clutch does not move either. One problem at a time. Should I be able to remove the dome without pulling the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrogers12 View Post
    So from the video it looks like I have another problem. My driven clutch does not move either. One problem at a time. Should I be able to remove the dome without pulling the motor?
    Post a video or a least a picture or 2 of what you are dealing with. A video would have to be hosted by another site such as you tube, facebook so you could copy the url.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I will try to do that later today. Should the clutch be moving in and out even with a stretched belt? The one I have on now is very loose.

I will try to do that later today. Should the clutch move in and out even with a badly wore out belt? it is very loose.

Depending on what rpm you are turning, yes. But without seeing what you are starting with all these answers may be moot.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrogers12 View Post
    Should I be able to remove the dome without pulling the motor?
    Yes, but why not just take the entire clutch off? Remove the 9/16" -headed bolt and the clutch will slide off the keyed crankshaft. It might take a little wiggling or prying, but there's nothing other than the bolt and friction holding it on.

The drive clutch should pinch in based on RPM, closed fully at full throttle. It will do this regardless of the belt on it or if there is a belt at all. With the engine off the belt should fit loosely around the chrome axle in the middle with wiggle room. As other have said photos and video will help us.

There is only about 1" between the top of the dome and the side of the tub. Is that enough room to get clutch off?

+ Reply to Thread