T-20 split shift

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-20 split shift

T-20 split shift

I recently built my own split shift setup and have only worked with it for a few minutes. I'm having a problem, it will not counter rotate. When both sides are in forward it moves forward perfectly. When both are in reverse it moves backward perfectly. When one side is in forward and the other in reverse it will not move. It doesn't matter which side is in which position, it willl not move unless both sides are in the same position.

This is with a kohler magnum 20 with a red spring, it has a tone of power.

Any ideas??

Pull back on the side you have in reverse. I have spring loaded sticks and have to hold the reverse side back so it can roll or pull back hard to apply reverse drive to that side. It's handy for turning around on the trailer.

I've tried that, and everything else I can think of. I don't really want to do some crazy spin but I do want to be able to shift one side to reverse and make a quick turnaround. My only guess right now is that the engine is not up to operating temperature and doesn't have the hp to turn both sides independently???

Are you actually getting it into gear when you go to split shift? How aggressive are your tires? Any trouble climbing steep hills without a running start? Does your belt engage when you try to split shift it? What machine do you have? Highly doubt it's any sort of motor issue...
    Meep Meep

Try starting the forward side first and then pulling back on the reverse side once it starts moving. Doing it from a dead stop on dry ground where you are getting lots of traction can be tough.

Well, she's a max 4, running vampires asx 12.5 wide. Since I installed the red spring it has no problem pulling hills. The belt is NOT new but it doesn't feel like it's slipping. Almost 100% it's in gear.

I will give that a shot. I was trying to go full forward and reverse from a dead stop.

Let us know what happens with it.
    If its still a no-go, does your motor bog down when trying it?
    Meep Meep

If you have stock tires I'd try them as that is a lot of bite to be digging with, or find a hole with some water in it for some slippage.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have 26's on my max 4 with split shift and I have to be on loose ground to spin from a stop. Doing like Mike said will help.

+ Reply to Thread