T-20 problems (teach and coach me please)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: T-20 problems (teach and coach me please)

We got the bands adjusted by finger tightening all four bolts a few turns. These now feel like they can not tighten any more due to the U-channel bolt keepers.
    Our initial testing by pushing the Max a few feet forward/backward shows the machine now has brake effect on both sides, forward and backwards. Neutral on both sides is fine, as well.
    We expect to be done putting it all back together tomorrow and test drive it. I'll report our results here.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

We got the M-IV done this evening. Initial test run indicates all is well. It turns with authority left/right forward and in reverse. We will give it a long test ride very soon. Thank you to everyone.

Our Max runs fine. We've taken it out of town about 15 miles or so. Just a bit of ocassional band chatter.

Today I ordered new bands, a complete gasket kit, and a few related items.
    Once these parts arrive we're expecting to crack open the T20. I might wait a few more rides first, since the trans works good yet.
    It will be my first time opening up a T20. I've seen Brandon's YouTube video on T20 band replacement a few times. It seems easy enough. I'll report back here at some point on our progress. Thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Hello, how did this work out for you? I just bought a Max II. I have only had a chance to run it (VERY SHORT DISTANCE) on pavement to make sure it ran. It seemed to have a tough time turning, almost like a lot of slack. Although I have never driven one before. I am going to jack it up and turn the wheels to see how it goes. IT does not roll forward in gear. I am excited to get it lifted up and check the bearings, seals, etc etc.

LowCountry1720... it ran fine.

Update... At 500 hours we changed out the brake bands, o-rings, needle bearings, shaft bearings, and gaskets. No problem. Rather easy.
    Question... which plunger bolts are adjusted to fine-tune reverse?
    I have no idea which bolts, top or bottom, works which drums. Perhaps a bit more explaining to me will help. Any takers?

Correction Tops are reverse, bottoms are forward.
    Last edited by Toys4Me; 06-12-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Thank you.
    When we were setting up to adjust the plunger bolts I noticed one U-channel pivot bolt on the left side had rattled out, giving me poor left-hand turns, especially in reverse.
    I screwed this bolt back on using blue locktite, and test drove it for a few hours. No problems. If it comes out again I'll replace it with one that has longer threads, and cut new threads deeper.
    It it good to know which bolts are for forward/reverse. Thanks.

There's no locks behind the bolt heads?? or pins through the u channels??

Both pins and bolt locks are installed as required. I used the instructions to adjust the plungers out to 20 ounce-inches, "on the bench" but for got to recheck after the T20 was installed. It is very diffecult to do this for me with the engine already installed. I have a disability with my spine/neck to move around in the tub trying yo do this and not be able to see what I am doing. The engine frame is on the way.
    BTW the instructions I used are for "floating" U-channels. Mine are modified with a pivot bolt like the older popdickle stick type. I don't think it makes much difference though.
    She runs good with the pivot bolt screwed back in.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 06-11-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Both pins and bolt locks are installed as required. I used the instructions to adjust the plungers out to 20 ounce-inches, "on the bench" but for got to recheck after the T20 was installed. It is very diffecult to do this for me with the engine already installed. I have a disability with my spine/neck to move around in the tub trying yo do this and not be able to see what I am doing. The engine frame is on the way.
    BTW the instructions I used are for "floating" U-channels. Mine are modified with a pivot bolt like the older popdickle stick type. I don't think it makes much difference though.
    She runs good with the pivot bolt screwed back in.
    Gotcha. Glad your up and goin again��������

+ Reply to Thread