Alternate Transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternate Transmission

Alternate Transmission

I don't know if this is the right place to really post this, but has any ever experimented with using a hydrostatic transmission (something akin to a zero turn mower or skid steer) to power their aatv? Obviously, there are similar past examples (Cushman Trackster) but a modern day zero turn would make parts more easily found. Gearing/ speed might be an issue, but it'd be very tanky...

some have tried , dont know of any successes. Only large commercial rigs went Hydrostatic. zero turn mower Hydrostatics have come along way but still have limitations with a AATV. You would need a chain drive to get the gear reduction correct to handle the grade and then pay a speed penalty. alternately you go with allot of engine torque and large hydraulic pumps and pay a weight penalty.
    Acta non verba

I have a Borg-Warner single speed tranny in an experimental vehicle that works pretty well. It's in a machine that only has the rear axle powered (currently) but I do plan on putting Adair tracks on the machine soon. It probably won't be as fully capable of a true 6x6 with six wheel drive but it does show promise. In terms of the transmission it compares favorably to a t20, the only difference is that you have to engage the brake to brake steer versus just cutting the power the way the t20 does. On the upside, these transmissions can be had for $200-$300 new, old stock. This machine has a 31hp B&S big block in it and it handles the power with no issues. Did I mention no chains to adjust?

There's a photo in my gallery. This might even be a good replacement transmission for the Apex tranny in the Coot.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 07-16-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Mudd-Ox is hydraulically driven, similar to the Hydratrek and some others that are no longer produced. Mudd-Ox uses two hydraulic motors, one for each side, and connects each of the four wheels per side by chains. Hydratrek uses various combinations of hydraulic motors depending on whether you get wheels or tracks, the six wheeler using an individual hydraulic motor for each wheel but the track versions using either one per side or one per corner, depending on the model.

+ Reply to Thread