Drum machining

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drum machining

Quote Originally Posted by countrybumpkin View Post
    Ok, let me know how you make out. I have 4 drums to turn down.
    Sure will Dave,I didnt take .40 off I remeasured today and it was only .20. I read somewhere if you took off 20 you were actually taking 40. confused me a little bit so i got the big calipers from work and measured again and it's right at .20 so I should be good to go with stock relined bands I hope!! will ask trans crafters to be absolutely sure on this and let y'all know
    Thanks
    Last edited by dave phelps; 08-16-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: fat fingers!!!

Don't even sweat it Dave. You've only changed the circumference of the drum by 0.063" if you took 0.020" off, and the plungers won't stick out that much more noticeably. You shouldn't need anything special from TC when they reline your bands.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Don't even sweat it Dave. You've only changed the circumference of the drum by 0.063" if you took 0.020" off, and the plungers won't stick out that much more noticeably. You shouldn't need anything special from TC when they reline your bands.
    Thanks for the info Mike. While I have ya here I've got another ? For ya. One side of this tranny has a steel thrust washer and the other has a fiber one. They go between the drums I believe??
    Thanks again!

The only steel thrust washers in the T20 go on each end of the center plate. It seems that most early t20s had flat thrust washers and later units had a tang bent down that set into a groove on the end of the center plate that stoppef them from spinning. The center plates are extraordinarily soft and the thrust washers grind into them like a knife through butter if they spin. This is what typically causes a lot of in and out play on the input shafts.

+ Reply to Thread