Drum machining

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drum machining

Drum machining

Ok fellas,how much can I turn off these drums and be ok with new relined bands?? Anyone have any idea?? They measured 6.210 and I've taken 0.20 off and still have a tiny bit of pitting in a few spots!! Any info would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks
    Last edited by dave phelps; 08-09-2017 at 07:22 PM.

I think I remember maybe Whipper or Hydromike stating that what ever you took off the drums Transcrafters could add that thickness to the band material.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I think I remember maybe Whipper or Hydromike stating that what ever you took off the drums Transcrafters could add that thickness to the band material.
    Thanks ArgoJim. I'm sure there's a limit to band thickness as well,still have a tiny bit of rust pitting on 2 drums but I don't think that'll hurt but I'm not completely sure about that either!! I know whipper is the man on these so maybe someone else that knows him could pass the word or maybe Hydromike can tell me as well.
    As always thanks for any and all input on this!
    Dave Phelps

I think that one of the RI guys had posted that you can take .025" to .030" off the drums. Maybe search the old posts to verify that, definitely don't take my word/memory.

Edit: It was msafi65's post that I was thinking about here: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...tml#post137529

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think that one of the RI guys had posted that you can take .025" to .030" off the drums. Maybe search the old posts to verify that, definitely don't take my word/memory.

Edit: It was msafi65's post that I was thinking about here: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...tml#post137529
    Thank you Mike! This does help very much. I'm quite sure another 0.10 will take the rest of the pitting out!! Now to order seals,fiber washers and gaskets
    Thanks again

Mike I don't worry about tiny pits from rust. I was told that .030 total would still work with standard bands. That's a.015 cut. Just get rid of any grooves and make them round again and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    Mike I don't worry about tiny pits from rust. I was told that .030 total would still work with standard bands. That's a.015 cut. Just get rid of any grooves and make them round again and call it good.
    Ok I had my shop guy take .20 thou off and so it turns out i actually went .40 on total diameter here??? CRAP I suppose i better tell TC thats how much i took off the drums then huh??
    Thanks

I just talked to TC the other day and I beleave they may have three different thickness of lining they can put on the bands. Just tell them what you took off and they will try to fix you up. These are great guys, I stopped in their shop a couple years ago to drop off some bands. They are a bunch of good-o-boys!

Quote Originally Posted by countrybumpkin View Post
    I just talked to TC the other day and I beleave they may have three different thickness of lining they can put on the bands. Just tell them what you took off and they will try to fix you up. These are great guys, I stopped in their shop a couple years ago to drop off some bands. They are a bunch of good-o-boys!
    Ok great! Thanks Dave. I took .40 off. More than I thought so they're gonna have to hook me up with the bands.
    Thanks again
    Dave Phelps

Ok, let me know how you make out. I have 4 drums to turn down.

+ Reply to Thread