supertrack mods

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: supertrack mods

supertrack mods

has anyone ever modidied their supertracks by cutting off the extension on one side of the track to eliminate the need for wheel spacers? would this cause the track to roll and cause walk out?
    just curious on people's thoughts.

trevor

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    has anyone ever modidied their supertracks by cutting off the extension on one side of the track to eliminate the need for wheel spacers? would this cause the track to roll and cause walk out?
    just curious on people's thoughts.

trevor
    While I'm not necessarily recommending it, I don't think that there would be a big compromise in strength to the hinge assembly as the hinge stops at the 13" mark and leaves both extensions of the track unsupported...one caution I would make is that if you do cut the edge at a sharp 90 degree angle on a table saw or such the inside of the track will be sharp enough that it will surly catch on stuff and try to peal the back of the track off of the bottom of the rear tire...I would deffinatly make certain to cut or shape the new inner edge of the track at a 45 degree edge to allow the inside edge to slide over stuff without catching and rolling off of the bottom of the tires ...older generation super track would not survive this modification as the wheel guide is completely supported to the outside of the pad

Best of luck

tim

thanks for the reply Tim. I'm not certain i want to do it and I seem to recall someone here did and hope to hear from him or a friend.

I know this is a bit of a different mod than you were talking about but 6X6World member ToryG did this mod with his tracks and I believe that it worked very well. Cheap, simple, and effective.

Argo Big Foot with Custom Ice Cleats - Amphibious ATV Pictures
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

thanks jp, the problem i have is the trailer i got is 5' x8' and my argo just fits with the 25" tires on it. friends always joke that i don't even need to strap it down. i would like to run the supertracks more but with the trailer situation it would be a labor intensive job to run tracks at some destination that required trailering. i haven't swapped the 25"s for the runamucks and wheel extension and gotten a measurement to see if that set up would fit the trailer. if it were to fit then i would leave the tracks alone. if they don't fit then it's a lot wrenching to put tracks on at destination. due to trailer size i have to transport tracks off vehicle anyway and that's fine and easy but to have to pull tires and add extensions and remount tires is involved. by cutting off the the inner track extension i could eliminate the need for spaces and just drive on to tracks at destinations. i'm aware of the obvious get bigger trailer, get the adiar tracks or modify trailer. all are not options right at the moment and i don't want to ruin a nice set of supertracks if i'll have problems with walk out.
    i looked at toryg's machines many times and i'm thinking about adding track cleats like that to the supertracks. i'm thinking on lines of the recent kidd track cleat made out of the same plastic as the adair tracks. if there is enough room i'm thinking of getting some 1"x 1" or so stips and modifiying to fit the supertracks to get that sweet sliding ability that the adiar tracks give and the extra cleat for traction in mud and snow, just won't have the clean out performance of the adair track system. again this is all speculative on my part and i haven't had any time to ride or investigate lately. thanks for the replies guys. i would still like to find the guy who did cut his tracks.

trevor

Did you try it or find the guy who did?

Nope never tried it and can't bring myself to cutting and ruining a good set of tracks. Got a bigger trailer, went 8' x 6' and it is actually 74" wide.

I had the same problem with my small 5' wide trailer and my Max. It fits fine with the tires, but the machine is 65" wide with the tracks on. I ended up building a raised deck out of 2x10s to get the machine above and over the trailer fenders until I get a new trailer built. It's not pretty, but it gets my tracked machine to where it needs to go. On a side note, the new trailer is just about finished.

That looks like quite a load for that little trailer. I would say you are definitely getting the most you can out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by akcrawler View Post
    That looks like quite a load for that little trailer. I would say you are definitely getting the most you can out of it.
    Yes it is, I still have about 500lbs of capacity to spare but no square footage at all lol. I've gone from one extreme to another, my new trailer measures 7' wide and 16' long up the middle. I've been converting a wrecked enclosed trailer to a utility flat deck. I'm just about finished up now, I only have to build the ramps and add the lights.

+ Reply to Thread