Secondary clutch bolt broke

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Secondary clutch bolt broke

Secondary clutch bolt broke

Hi. We just discovered the center bolt to the secondary clutch broke, leaving the treaded stud stuck in the shaft of the T-20.
    I do know both the engine and transmisdion need to come out just to get at this stud.
    Assuming I can get it out with an Eady-Out screw remover, what size bolt do I replace it with?
    Now, if I can't, then where do I buy a replacement shaft? RI/MuddOx? Borg-Warner?
    I've never done this kind of work but am willing to learn. Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Hi. We just discovered the center bolt to the secondary clutch broke, leaving the treaded stud stuck in the shaft of the T-20.
    I do know both the engine and transmisdion need to come out just to get at this stud.
    Assuming I can get it out with an Eady-Out screw remover, what size bolt do I replace it with?
    Now, if I can't, then where do I buy a replacement shaft? RI/MuddOx? Borg-Warner?
    I've never done this kind of work but am willing to learn. Thanks.
    Is there any of the bolt remaining sticking out still? If so how much?

If you have to remove engine/trans so be it, what ever it takes.

If you can get a NUT and weld it onto the bolt sticking out of shaft you may be able to unthread it if you cannot do that with say vice grips...also some..heat on the shaft may be required to loosen the grip on the bolt...however be very careful so you don't COOK seals..cold wet rag wrapped around shaft next to case could help.

Hope this helps.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Thank you very much. I don't know how much the bolt is sticking out. Looks like none at first glance yesterday. I got the Max IV down at my mother's place.
    I'll remove the belt and clutches first. Then I ought to see if any bolt sticks out. I'll go from there.

The bolt was broken a tad under flush. No way to grip it with vice grips. I drilled a hole in the bolt but ended up with a jole bigger than my extractor. I bought a new set and continued. As suggested I put a little heat on it first. The stud came out! Yippee! I didn't need to buy a new shaft. Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.

In case someone wonders... The bolt size is a 3/8"-24 fine thread, 3 to 3.5" long depending on the washers used. Mine was 3.5". Worked well.
    Thanks to Bridget for this info.

+ Reply to Thread