Swamp Fox newbie question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swamp Fox newbie question

Swamp Fox newbie question

I'm trying to finish this restore and have a few questions.... 1) someone filled the T20 with gear oil do I need to roll the T20 to get most of the gear oil out and refill it with ATF...2) Someone ran the engine with no belt on the salbury clutch and it has closed so I can't get the belt on how do I get this clutch open again ???
    If I can get these items fixed the swamp fox will be ready to ride
    I have all the tools and skills but very limited knowledge of 6X6s

The t20 should be ok once you get the gear oil out. You might even want to change fluids and let it sit for a day, then change the atf a 2nd time for good measure.
    You can manually roll the clutch by hand and it will reopen, after some elbow grease and choice words.

Good luck on the machine, the Swamp Fox is one of the more rare and desirable machines.

Just to clarify what Noel meant with the clutch; You can just pry the sheaves back apart by taking a couple pry bars, screw drivers, or even by hand and prying the movable (outer) face back out. Just watch your fingers!

Thanks for ur reply's will be working on machine tomorrow I'll try to roll the T20 in the machine to get the oil out of it that will save alot of work I have enuff ATF for 2 oil changes , Then I'll try prying the drive pulleys apart to install the drive belt
    I hope to have this machine drivable in a few days...I got the Swamp Fox from a local ol timer a year ago in Boxes he tore it apart and forgot how to put everything back together
    Theres a swamp across the road from me should be a great test area

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Thanks for ur reply's will be working on machine tomorrow I'll try to roll the T20 in the machine to get the oil out of it that will save alot of work I have enuff ATF for 2 oil changes , Then I'll try prying the drive pulleys apart to install the drive belt
    I hope to have this machine drivable in a few days...I got the Swamp Fox from a local ol timer a year ago in Boxes he tore it apart and forgot how to put everything back together
    Theres a swamp across the road from me should be a great test area
    Better be gettin video and or pictures! LOL

Good luck on the resto, youll enjoy the machine
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

hi
    I would schedule the T20 to be opened up for inspection .
    The band linning/ material will be impregnated with gear oil .
    The material on the bands is selected knowing what oil will be used .
    Using the wrong oil could give a result of zero effects or delaminating causing metal contact with the drums .
    IMO remove measure thickness [they maybe worn out anyway] [.030 not including steel back ] clean in mild white spirit and then soak in ATF.
    It would be best to replace them .

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    hi
    I would schedule the T20 to be opened up for inspection .
    The band linning/ material will be impregnated with gear oil .
    The material on the bands is selected knowing what oil will be used .
    Using the wrong oil could give a result of zero effects or delaminating causing metal contact with the drums .
    IMO remove measure thickness [they maybe worn out anyway] [.030 not including steel back ] clean in mild white spirit and then soak in ATF.
    It would be best to replace them .

tomo
    At this point my plan is to get the machine rideable first then weight my options of keeping it or selling it and getting a smaller 6X6 (hard to get a 5 1/2 ft wide atv between trees in the woods) the a peeling aspect of a Amphibious atv where I hunt is almost a must have because now i have a snorkeled ATV but need something better to get into a area that I know has BIG BUCKS and no one has hunted because of the Swamp around it,

My investment in this machine so far is less then $400.00 including the cost of buying it....I would prefer a Diesel power 6X6 because most of my MAN toys are diesel now and I travel to Belize twice a year to my land and diesel in Belize is cheaper

I got the clutch fixed and the oil outta the T20....Next question is I have a auto type Ignition switch setup off-on-start I need to know how to setup a engine kill switch I have the Tecumseh HH160 motor with Solid State Ignition there is only a 3 wire plug going to the motor besides the battery cable to starter....how can I kill this engine with a dash mounted switch, I dont want to burn out my Ignition module by trail and error so can anyone help ???

A three way switch can be had at any auto parts store (O'reillys, Autozone, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    I got the clutch fixed and the oil outta the T20....Next question is I have a auto type Ignition switch setup off-on-start I need to know how to setup a engine kill switch I have the Tecumseh HH160 motor with Solid State Ignition there is only a 3 wire plug going to the motor besides the battery cable to starter....how can I kill this engine with a dash mounted switch, I dont want to burn out my Ignition module by trail and error so can anyone help ???
    Two of the three wires should go to the alternator under the flywheel. These provide the AC power to the rectifier/regulator. The third wire should be an engine "kill". You ground this wire to shut the engine off, NEVER apply 12v+ to this wire. You will have to verify what I just told you because the rectifier/regulator is usually mounted on the engine making only one wire (12v+) come from your charging system. Sometimes the starter solenoid wire will also go through your plug, but most times not.......Clear as mud?

+ Reply to Thread