Conquest clutch belt vibration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conquest clutch belt vibration

Conquest clutch belt vibration

Two trips ago my Conquest developed a pretty bad vibration in the clutch belt. At about 2800 rpm it has a very visable vibration inn the belt. After changing the clutch weights in the primary for high altitude and putting the secondary spring in hole #2 it was running as smooth as ever.

The only thing I did different before the vibration happen was to put a new belt on that was a hair tighter being new. After the vibration i swapped the old belt back on but it is doing the same thing. I checked th bolt on both clutches and they were tight. I also tighten the idler chains a bit.

The only thing I notice a foul is a shiny wear spot on the base of the secondary spring housing. I am in the process of taking that apart.

Is there a top/bottom to the way the secondary spring goes in? Is it possible to get the transmission tilted enough to throw things off after tightening the idler chains?or any other thoughts???
    Last edited by thorn; 02-19-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Side to side play in driven bushing, in your hands twist faces away from ramps and wiggle ( vibration usually accompanied with a growl). Be sure to check that all 3 bumpers are still in place.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Side to side play in driven bushing, in your hands twist faces away from ramps and wiggle ( vibration usually accompanied with a growl). Be sure to check that all 3 bumpers are still in place.
    Jim,
    The bumpers were one of the things I checked first and all there. Yes there is movement of the two plates when I twisted the face and clamped them together with a c-clamp vise grip to disassemble it. I thought it wasn't doing that before.

What is the fix then with the bushing?

I just looked at a parts diagram and the bushing is what the base of the spring is rubbing/wearing against. It looks like there is a small grub screw that locks the bushing in place?
    Last edited by thorn; 02-19-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Honestly I've never had that style of that clutch apart, perhaps pm RD or JBF.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Ok. Thank for the info Jim.

Update... It appears that my bushing in the secondary or driver clutch is worn an is creating the wobble/vibration. I am going to have to press it out with a hydraulic press as I can not punch in out with a flat head screwdriver and mallet.

I think I know what caused this to happen so suddenly after changing to a new belt. The brand new belt that I put on was being carried as a spare in the under seat tool box and was folded in half to fit in there. It had taken a set shape after being in there for 3+ years and when I put it on I could see that it was running at idle with an obvious lopsidedness to it. I just assumed that after it got hot it would straighten out and not be an issue. I guess it would be wise to let these unfold in the sun for a while before putting them on the machine (unless you break one on the trail).

Update again... Swapped out the bushing (you will need a hydraulic press) and no more vibration!
    Last edited by thorn; 02-29-2016 at 09:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread