Admiral tranny lock up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Admiral tranny lock up

Admiral tranny lock up

Has anyone had or heard of an admiral tranny locking up?
    Tranny is not engaging from forward to reverse,nor from hi to low range,shifter moves freely,driven clutch spins,seems to be in nuetral,but locked up,output shafts are not turning

I found the answer to my own question after pulling the tranny out,this was not an issue with the tranny, as much as a brake issue, and would like to pass what I found in case someone has a simular issue.
    looks like the first time the unit locked up,the hand brake was being engaged,and heated up one side of the brake pads to the point where it got so hot it expanded the pads and seized it up. after pulling the unit out of the marsh,this must have freed the brake up, and it worked,but at this point we had no idea what happened.
    The second time the unit seized up,back in the marsh again,and after i recieved the unit for repair,and after pulling the tranny out,found that this time the e brake had been engaged,and been driven so, that the whole e brake system had gotten so hot it warped the brake pads,totally destroying them,and transferred so much heat to the splined shaft out of the tranny that accepts the e brake disc,that the splined shaft expanded so much it froze itself onto the tranny cover, or the bearing in said cover.
    After pulling off the cover,the tranny operated as it should.
    This is a 2017 new hunmaster R with less than 15 hours on this unit so far,and up to this point this is what happened so far.
    1. oil filler cap mysteriously came off
    2.ran the unit out of gas in the marsh.
    3. blew 2 tires ( this unit has the double bead lock rims)
    4. froze the unit up in the marsh, and had to pull it out.(hand brake issue)
    5. froze the unit up in the marsh, the second time,and had to pull it out with a D9 dozer
    6.destroyed the winch fairlead and baseplate as he used the winch as a hook on point when he pulled it out the first time
    This guy refused to go over the unit when he first picked it up,stating that he had "tons of atv's",and has 2 kids around 12 years old,but tells me he was the only one driving it,and is expecting ODG to warrantee it.
    Can anyone shed some light on what is going on?
    Last edited by foxvalley; 01-05-2018 at 01:12 PM.

I can't offer much help but to mention that mine didn't want to go into gear last week for a minute. Never happened before, I washed it in a pay touchless car wash, drove it 10 minutes home on the back of my trailer in -10°C. When I started it to put it back in my garage the shifter wouldn't move out of neutral. Just moved back and fourth a bit but wouldn't engage. I left it and did something else for a few minutes and then I did get it into gear by pushing excessively hard on the lever. First time it's ever happened, 2016 huntmaster with 100 hours. I haven't run it since then, since after I wash it I pull the racks and panels out, jack up the front and leave it in the garage for a week to dry out. I figured something got wet and too cold. It is due for it's 100 hour service where I'll change the old mineral gear oil for synthetic.

I'm guessing water got between the trans and the shift plate,large erea to freeze up.I also washed a unit in 40 degrees,did'nt take the time to drive it dry,next day 10 degrees and froze up one side of the unit, and also the starter.Fork lifted into the heated garage, next day just fine.

+ Reply to Thread