Coot 1st Gear

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Coot 1st Gear

I really appreciate all the help and suggestion guys!
    I contacted Whipper, light at the end of the tunnel at last!

Got my new 1st gears on Friday. Super high quality. Figured I’d update the thread since I hate finding year old threads on other forms with no conclusions.

Pictured new vs old and installed. You can see how I have changed the design to be much more beefy. I took the risk of increasing the wall thickness of the collars (Plus adding a 2nd). I measured with shims how much room I had to work with and split the difference for a few thousands of clearance. Everything seemed to run smoothly but once I installed the roll pin the gear lost what clearance it had and meshed with the big 1st gear when in 2nd as can be seen in the zoomed in photo. I sanded some material away but it seems like it’s more a function of slop in the entire transmission that’s doing it more than anything as the same teeth and spot never rubs twice. The gears still spin easily by hand so I reassembled it and put the Coot back together. Granted in 2nd I get an audible chatter as 1st walks or clips the collar of 1st pinion (the replaced gear) when in 2nd from the lack of clearance. Everything runs nice and shifts smoothly. It’s annoying to image that inside the transmission 2 gears are clashing and making a racket but I’ll leave them be and just wait for one to wear the other until they miss or get quieter as I figure I can either remove material until they stop clashing or just wait till they do it on their own.

Any thoughts?

nice job on the new gears !! was it whipper that did make them ? what oil goes in the trans ? maybe there is a '' slick '' type additive to help the meshing. seems like they will eventually wear down like you say and the chatter will decrease. change the oil after a while and see if there are any filings. good luck, johnboy va.

If your plan is to let them self wear, stick some heavy duty magnets to the outside of the case so all the debris will stick and not be wearing other parts
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yes Whipper made these. Standard "gear oil" 90 weight I think it was whatever the Coot was spec'ed to run in the transmission. Just my plan Racerone3 I have a big neodymium magnet I used to retain the seatbelts under there now, will replace with 16 large neodymium hard drive magnets when they come in the mail.

+ Reply to Thread