Getting new Tight chains on Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting new Tight chains on Argo

Getting new Tight chains on Argo

I have been working on getting new drive chains installed on my 98 Conquest. I bought enough to replace 4 chains. The new chains are tight. I got one on all the way and 3 to go. I have used 90 degree needle nose pliers and cable ties. I bought a chain puller tool and I still have about an 1/8 inch to go on the chain I am working on. I have searched topics on chains. Any other ideas? I am doing this on the top of the chain close to the sprocket. Should I try the bottom? I am thinking about stretching the chain off the machine. Bad idea? I was hoping to try out my new Adair tracks in the next day or two, not looking good so far.

There are the same number of links on new chain as the old ones. They are Tsubaki chain, also.
    Last edited by Mike; 08-27-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: moved thread from General Discussion forum to the Argo forum

Have you lifted the tires off the ground?

Yes, it is lifted off of ground. Would tracks hanging down affect it at all? The bottom of the chain has slack but I can't get the slack out because of teeth on sprocket.

Sounds like the friction between the tires and tracks is acting like friction between tires and ground.......I'd pull the tracks.

Yes, pull the tracks off. I tried putting my chains on with the tracks on...... Nightmare.

RD

Here is a set of modified "Regular" Vice Grips
    [IMG][/IMG]

I made mine out of Needle Nosed Vice Grips like these
    [IMG][/IMG]

RD

Thanks for the replies. I will take the tracks off tomorrow and get a pair of needle nose vise grips.

I recently used a friend's modified vice grips to put a single sixty chain back on and
    it makes the job so much more easier than without (the way which I've previously done it).

I took the tracks off and ground the needle nose vice grips. It worked great. I would still be scratching my head if I didn't have that good advice. Thanks again. Hardest part was getting the master link clips on. I wasted my money on the chain puller, oh well. Test drove it on driveway, works good.

+ Reply to Thread