Max II with no torque

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max II with no torque

Max II with no torque

Ok everyone I bought a Max II that's been a project to say the least. My machine is a 96 with the 18hp vanguard. I understand these are not fast, but the lack of torque is rather frustrating as it won't even break the tires in going up hill in the loose stuff. The rpm range seems fine and idles well, but its almost walking speed going up hills at or climbing anything at (WOT) and maybe 11 mph on flat ground. Both primary and secondary clutches seem to work as they should. I'm lost on what else to do, everything I've done is below. What am I missing? at the point that I might cave and take it to a shop.

Work accomplished:
    New belt HP3003 and tightened
    Cleaned both clutches
    Adjusted chains
    New idle jet
    Cleaned and rebuilt carb
    New Plugs
    New AF
    Oil Change
    New fuel pump, lines, filter, cleaned gas tank
    Greased everything
    6 new wheels and tires
    New throttle cable and adjusted
    New lights
    Added bilge pump
    Serviced T-20 with Type F
    Last edited by dgroff85; 04-30-2018 at 10:18 PM.

I dont see on there adjusting the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Toys4Me View Post
    I dont see on there adjusting the trans.
    I only serviced it, how do you adjust these trans? I think the machine has around 70hrs

I still suspect belt tension. The rubber motor mounts can be very troublesome as they allow the motor to move closer to the trans making the belt loose before the machine moves.

Try: over tightening the belt. You wont be able to shift, so start it in gear and hold back on the sticks.......See if this changes your power problem. If it does you will know it is the belt tension.

ALSO....get rid of that type "F" trans fluid....it is the lowest grade trans fluid available and even after adding the friction modifier it is only marginal....... There are lots of other ATF's meant for modern transmissions that will hold up to the heat better. I use one meant for GM transfer cases $8/qt and I also use 1 1/2 qts.

I agree with the belt issue. It's either too lose or slipping. Make sure you didn't get any oil or grease on it when doing your maintenance.

Adjusting the transmission is also a good place to check. This means adjusting the plungers at the C Channels to ensure you are getting full tension on the bands when applying force to the laterals. If your laterals aren't fully engaging the bands inside the transmission, it essentially is the same as riding the clutch in a stick shift vehicle - things aren't fully engaged. I don't have a link handy but there are lots of posts on how to adjust.

Thanks everyone I'll give it a try.

just a thought when mine wouldnt climb found that I had a broken cam in the primary clutch It looked like it was working but under load wasnt had to keep playing with the sticks back and forth

Could also be a worn out engine, if so and you are losing compression, there will be no grunt behind the power. It will make all the noise, rev like normal, but no torque. Check compression to rule this out. Briggs and Stratton is known for engineering in planned obsolescence.

First check your unloaded (neutral) rpm which should be about 4000.
    If the engine was replaced the governor spring could be incorrect.

I'd pull the valve covers and check that all 4 push rods are in place, the engine will run descent on one cylinder with low power and someone may not sense it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I’ve been pretty swamped working on other projects, but I moved it today and noticed it has noticeably more torque in reverse. I’m going to order the tool to adjust the trans also.

+ Reply to Thread