Moving the shifter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving the shifter

Moving the shifter

Has anyone repositioned the forward/reverse shifter on their MAX 2? Being an older guy and nowhere near as flexible as I used to be I am considering repositioning my shifter. Since most of these parts seem to be very hard to come by I don't want to be cutting up the shifter and then finding out it will not work for some odd reason. Just wanted to check to see if anybody has done this already. I had thought about shortening the original and welding on a sleeve and then pinning the sleeve to a new short rod that is bent straight up. This would mean I could just reach over at seat lever and lift reverse and push down for forward. The added mount should not be enough that the extra weight would try to shift it on its own and if it was a problem a small spring could offset the difference. Pinning the sleeve would allow me to pull two pins and slide off the shifter and then lift out the floor. I would like to see or hear of any other shift or control mods.

I've put them beside the seat (single seat) and on the floor in front of the sticks. On the floor foot operated is by far the best. I've since added traction bars to the foot pedals because mud is slippery.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And beside the seat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uro9kbDpLg

WOW, both are great ideas, I do need to keep two up seating though. The side shift idea look interesting but I can't really see how the linkage is set up

This version was much easier to fabricate but far less convenient to use.[IMG][/IMG]

This is how I relocated the shifter (and made a split-shift) in a far different machine, but the concept is the same.

Some good ideas but I do have to stay with double seating. I probably will go with split shift though.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I've put them beside the seat (single seat) and on the floor in front of the sticks. On the floor foot operated is by far the best. I've since added traction bars to the foot pedals because mud is slippery.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And beside the seat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uro9kbDpLg
    Wow that is really cool. Can you explain how that works? Instead of using 1 stick you are using 2 pedals?

+ Reply to Thread