TERRA TIGER Restoration thread

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TERRA TIGER Restoration thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikni View Post
    It is fun when that pin sheers on the axle hub and you are out on the trails and you see you tire go racing off without you!
    I know what that feels like but my tire floated by me

that tiger looks good simpleton7016 that things going to be awesome
    1969 Gip-Sea four stroke conversion 1983 honda Big Red 200E engine
    1969 ATTEX ST/300/D four stroke conversion 18HP vanguard V-twin

I am not sure how this fits, but just wanted to document it for the archives. I have torn apart 7 Terra Tigers now. The hope is to make 3 good ones. I think I will be successful. I found a few minor differences in models that I have not seen documented anywhere. All of them regarding the primary drive shafts. First is a minor machining difference in the hub of the male portion of the steering clutch. See the attached picture. One of the hubs is machined narrower than the other. I have found a couple of these, but the change does not correspond to any of the documented changes/upgrades in the various machines. The only thing I can think of is that these narrower hubs were made in the replacement parts. The one in the picture came off of model number 1438. But I have an earlier model without that narrower hub and several later models without it either. Although #3163 DID have them. I can't make sense out of it, so it they must be replacement parts.

Second....I have rebuilt 6 primary drive shafts now. Two of them are seen in the picture and the one in the front was reportedly rebuilt by Richards Relics. In almost all cases, the pieces were rusted and needed electrolysis to clean them up. However, this primary drive shaft that I took out of serial #1438 was manufactured in stainless steel and rust free. None of the others were stainless steel.
    Attached Images

The stainless is a great find. Do you plan on putting that into one of your rebuilds?

No, I will probably sell the stainless steel unit to someone that is restoring to original. I have a stash of rebuilt Primary Drive shafts now.

I just got the second Terra Tiger back from my fiberglasser. One left to get completed. My 6 year old son wanted his to be black, so my we found a flat black marine paint to suit his needs. I am not sure how wise it was to let a six year old pick the color of a toy that he can't drive for at least another five years, but it made him happy. This was the newest of the three Terra Tigers (the one on the far left in the original pictures) and needed the most fibergalss work by far! But again, the guy I am working with really did some excellent work.
    Attached Images

I think it was a great idea to let him choose the color. That black looks sinister.

Thanks Mike....it's just that it is gonna be HOT on a sunny day.

Question for anyone in the know: what would you recomend painting the iinside of the body with? I was planning on a black or grey brush on paint of some sort. But what brand for fiberglass?

OK, I ended up coating the insides with POR 15. It cured very nicely and very hard. The bond is excellent, but it did take two coats. That's it, now I can start putting trim on....very slowly (kids impede any REAL progress)
    Attached Images

here are a few additional minor engineering differences I have found in the various Tigers I have ripped apart. The first is the Jackshaft sprockets. In the picture, the sprocket on the right has visible welds on the hub. There was only one set I found like this and it was out of a newer machine...#5294. All the rest were like the one on the left with no visible welds.

I also found one machine with a different jackshaft bracket set up. This came out of machine #2519. In the picture, the bracket on the right is the one that came out of most of the machines I tore apart. But the one on the left came with only the 1/2 bracket and two (2) of the jackshaft supports (part # 1605004). But all of the mounting holes in the body are the same.
    Attached Images

Aslo, my K-lock rims arrived yesterday. I little premature b/c I am not quite ready for tires yet. Great service from Recreatives. Jay, if you lurk around here, then thank you...they looks great. Other than new machined axle's and sprockets, this has been my biggest expense to date....but I do NOT want to lose a bead in the middle of nowhere....so I figure they are worth it. The silver rims will go on the black terra tiger and the black ones will go on the yellow tiger,
    Attached Images

Sprocket on right isn't original! Someone has replaced the large one. As for brackets ones on right are updated ones and needed in all machines if you plan on playing & using it! Bulletin TT203 and was installed-used on all machines above serial number 2562 and all older machines were suppose to be upgraded, but a lot of dealers didn't do them!
    Last edited by steveohio; 07-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread