Max VI 6x6 trany advice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max VI 6x6 trany advice

Max VI 6x6 trany advice

Hello guys I need some help I took my trany apart and replace the bands o ring and the outher bearings. Put it all together and adjust the plungers. When I shift forward and the levers are close to the dash she don't do nothing, but if I pull the levers back tires goes forward. At this point my brain is getting fried help fellas please.

Yeral the good news is unless you left some parts out this should not be a big deal. Check to see if you have the diamond shifters swapped (they will fit in either side, but won't work in either side). Put the trans in neutral and pull one out. The orientation of the shift pin should be over the center of the output shaft/shift collar. Also, you should see the groove in the shift collar which receives the pin. I guess its possible to have the shift collars in the reverse position and install the diamond such that it misses the groove all together and thus doesn't shift.

Check this out and report back.

I agree the shifters are probably swamped. Forward pushes the shift collar to the center of the transmission.

Thank you guys

Hey guys I check on that and no luck. Question when I sent the band to be realigned the took the plungers out when they sen them back they didn't connect the plungers to the bands I did my self but I'm wondering if I put them in the wrong side of the bans

I'm not sure you can put them on wrong and still assemble the transmission. I would think that the band would have to wrap across itself to get it together with the clevis on the wrong end.
    DanW

As far as I can tell it doesn't matter which end of the band the plunger attaches. I'm not familiar with the Max machines, but is it possible to connect the lateral linkage wrong? If the linkage is correct, pushing the laterals forward will pull the lower plungers and push the upper plungers. Pulling the laterals back pulls the upper plungers and pushes the lower plungers.

Look at the plungers with respect to the case surface. With newly lined bands they should all be recessed in the case by about the same amount. If your lower plungers are sticking much farther out of the case that the uppers, something is wrong.

Are you certain your shift linkage is getting the transmission into forward gear?

Yeral, as much as you don't want to I would pull the engine table.
    To me it sounds as if you have 2 issues going on between what I've read here and FB. First is you may have the shift diamonds in the wrong sides which is common, the pins in the bottom of the shifters will fit in either facing forward or reverse and if I remember correctly they should be in forward facing side of the diamond.
    With that hopefully not to messed up by auto correct, once the engine is out of the way you can check that, next after shifting the diamonds forward and holding the sticks forward you should be able to rotate the secondary clutch/ converter forward which should intern rotate the output gears and wheels forward. If you have that you can the put diamonds rearward with the sticks held rearward while rolling the secondary Forward your outputs and wheels should roll rear ward.
    If that's good next.
    Re adjust your bands, if you have the adjustment tool adjust each side evenly tight top to bottom keeping the u channel as vertically straight as possible until they stop then loosen slightly evenly to remove the tools and then replace the bolt stop pins. This should leave you at 6-8 inches of travel at the top of the sticks. Should your stick orientation not be near vertical when in middle of travel you can adjust one of both lateral connecting rods to achieve that.

Hope this helps, should I be wrong in any way someone please correct me.

On another note when you assembled the internals both of the planetary sets face the center of the transmission and with the drums with ring gear both on the out put sides of the transmission.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Ok so i dropped my tranny in the machine and pulled it about 10 times. Took it apart so many times��. What I figured out is the bands can be flipped, I had one side together correct and the other side would do what yours is doing. Watch Maxrules99 on YouTube and see how he differentiates the bands. Hope this help! I know it’s beyond frustrating! Best of luck!

Thumbs Up on MaxRules99 videos. Excellent tutorials.

https://youtu.be/tuifk0kE7vg
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread