Question about Argo use in Antarctic trip

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about Argo use in Antarctic trip

Question about Argo use in Antarctic trip

Hi
    This is regarding the trip/expedition undertaken by a group of Australian scientists to the Antarctic who got stuck there, as you might have seen on the news lately. I've followed the story closely. It appears that they got stuck in a storm due to getting delayed on some islands after they ran into Argo troubles. One team member describes what happened: one of the Argos was being towed over water and it submerged and was pulled out. The engine stopped working afterward.

Since you guys have experience with Argos, and their proper operation, would you think what they did, in terms of towing it over water, unusual or otherwise? How 'hardy' are Argos in terms of getting in and out of water (which they are designed to do)?

I posted a narrative of what happened on this trip here: Akademik Shokalskiy: the fateful moment – Shub Niggurath Climate

It sounds like they were expecting the Argo to perform in a way it wasn't designed for (fast water speed & being a submarine)

these guys almost qualify for a darwin award.towing an argo in the freezing ocean with a zodiac?what could possibly go wrong???

All the college degrees out there and no common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan67 View Post
    All the college degrees out there and no common sense.
    Isn't that the norm ? It's rare to find academics with an ounce of common sense, that's what you get from staying at school all your life. When you do find some with common sense they tend to congregate in one spot, like here

"Sadly Argo engines don’t take too kindly to being submerged… the ships engineers are still working on it and not very optimistic about its prospects"

So, only Argo engines fail when submerged?!? And, elsewhere in the article, it's like it's a mystery the engine failed because it was merely submerged, and not running when it went down.

Let's also mention we're talking about high winds and whipped whitecaps here. I'd never take my Max out in heavy waves, even here on the river. They're NUTS!

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?
    "Sand is pavement to a 6x6!"

Don't jump on me about knocking on Argos here but this is not the kind of equipment a right thinking person would carry into those conditions. I'm thinking more military grade equipment would be appropriate. Agree with Adondo, these people are nut jobs!

"... it's like it's a mystery the engine failed because it was merely submerged, and not running when it went down"
    I tried to give the expeditioners and their circumstances the maximum benefit of the doubt. Also, isn't the Argo is expected to hold up against water to some extent (not be being fully dunked I agree)?

Here's a video of the lead person and his team testing out the Argos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctYvQB3SH8

Looks like the research team had developed a "sputtering Argo" problem even on a previous run: Friday 20th December Day 13 - Janet Rice

Our own much more modest trip than the Mawson’s Huts trip continued to be not straightforward. It was very soon after we made the decision to turn around that the Argo started experiencing fuel intake problems, cutting out every 700m or so and needing to recover for 5-10 minutes.

I guess I'm being a little too picky here but if I were going to the Antarctic I think I'd pick a little more realistic proving ground than my favorite picnic place in Australia. Something about the short sleeve weather doesn't say yes to me.

Found a short video on the The Spirit of Mawson - Home site showing a tracked 650 Frontier towing a untracked Conquest, I'd venture to guess it had a fuel solenoid issue.
    Personally I wouldn't have taken a 20 year old machine to the harshest environment on earth with out being completely gone over, it may have been, but seeing as they are self/donation funded the machine may been donated in good working order.

Also the video link above from Dozerlarry shows the major difference in turning radius in water with the track spacers on.

+ Reply to Thread