How much is enough, Pressure that is to seat a Matt O rim.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much is enough, Pressure that is to seat a Matt O rim.

How much is enough, Pressure that is to seat a Matt O rim.

Spent the last hour or so trying to seat a new rawhide 3 tire on a Matt O rim. My old tires went on at about 30 Psi. Got the new tire up to 40 and the front bead seated but not the rear. left the tire in garage with 40 psi and maybe the tire fairy will stretch the tire and it will be seated in the morning. Any suggestion are welcome. Seated most of the tires with dish soap with great success. Maybe I need some super tire lube or something.

ETHER
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

CAREFUL.....ETHER GO BOOM!!!! voice of experience, but I think we told that story at Ashtabula LOL

I used liberal amounts of Joy dish soap and most of them still took over 40psi. When the tough ones got to 45 I started to worry about ruining the tire (and my safety). I went and bought a clamp on end for my air hose so I could lay the tire outside, close the garage door with me inside and give it another try. I only had one that wouldn't seat with 45-50 lbs of pressure (that was as far as I was willing to go). It was like yours with only one bead seated. To get the other side seated I unscrewed the valve and shot ether in the valve stem. Lit it and "pop". It was probably the least violent pop of them all other than the flame coming out of the valve stem. That's what worked for me. The whole thing was a very uneasy process.

Thanks Mike, I like the Idea of the clamp on air chuck. close the garage door and wait for the pop. maybe????? I bet McCoy can do the other option in his sleep.

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    I usually bounce the wheel a few times with 30 odd psi in it. The jolt is usually enough to get the bead seated, just watch you don't get your fingers in the way!

Actually I was thinking of dropping it off the roof. No seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Actually I was thinking of dropping it off the roof. No seriously!
    I tried something similar years ago with a go kart tire that wouldn't seat. i had it at 45 psi and started throwing it up in the air so it could bounce hard... still didn't work. i ended up with the clamp on chuck method. I have an adjustable regulator in my shop. run a long hose out to the tire and close the door just like Mike said. my regulator has a gauge on it so i can watch the pressure. once it pops on the bead i unplug the hose at the regulator. that way the pressure in the tire is already back down to normal before i get anywhere near it. I did have a tire come apart doing this a few years ago. even with the shop door closed, it was the loudest bang i've ever heard! Beth came running from the house in a hurry figuring she would find me dead when she got there.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That will probably work or just install in on the machine and drive it around and it will probably pop on from riding. This option keep you off the roof

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    That will probably work or just install in on the machine and drive it around and it will probably pop on from riding. This option keep you off the roof
    That makes way too much sense, way too easy and practical. I even bet it's 100% safe-where's the fun in that? Soooooo, Brian, where do you buy your ether?
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 07-25-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling...duh

+ Reply to Thread