Argo Magnum lost power!!! HELP!!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo Magnum lost power!!! HELP!!!

Argo Magnum lost power!!! HELP!!!

I have a 18hp kohler magnum. I have to drive in low range most of the time, the motor doesn't have the power to drive in high range. I goes but very slow and it won't turn, it just stop if I try to turn. I checked my brake and they are not stuck on or anything. My secondary clutch is new and work good as well as the primary and I have a new belt. In neutral I rev the motor but it take time to get some rpm(my weedwacker have more pep than that). I play with the carburetor setting and only seen a slight improvement. I need some advice

Try cleaning the carburetor. If you pull the choke out, does it improve the performance?

how many hours on the machine? u mite be running on one cylinder. check the sparkpugs, see if one is all fouled up. also check the compression, maybe its time for new rings.

Meter show 680 hours. If I pull the choke it bog down. I will clean the carburetor and change the plugs. Also I got 1 turn on low speed needle and 3-1/2 on high speed needle.

check into the manuals section on magnums. THe manuals should have factory settings on them, and a trouble shooting section. Easy peasy. If you cant find them Just message me, or yell for help again!

Check to make sure you are getting a sufficient fuel supply to the carb. Pull the hose off at the carb and crank it over, be sure to catch the gas in a can and observe the flow. If it is weak check the fuel filter or replace it. If the filter is clear or has been replaced then the fuel pump may be suspect. Of course, what Mike recomended by pulling the choke out a little you would be enriching an otherwise lean fuel condition if the filter was plugged or have a bad fuel pump. You might also do a compression test to see that both cylinders have equal pressure. Happy hunting... RR

Made a compression test tonite, 100psi in front cylinder and 0 in the rear one. That's my problem.

Okay so there is either a keeper dropped off one of the valves or you have a blown head gasket. It is likely the keeper, a blown gasket might still make a little pressure in the cylinder. Follow the breather tube to the crankcase valves on the block and remove them, this is where the valve springs live. If the keepers are intact it may also be a stuck valve. I dont remember if the breathers are on the top or on the sides of the cylinders, hope they are on top. Good luck!!

Blowed head gasket. At least one inch of the gasket was missing. Replace gasket from another good motor I pick up for $50 this weekend. Got 100 psi in both cylinder now. Seem a little low to me but motor is working awesome with great torque.

I drove it for about 2 days, blow the same head gasket again. Replace it again but this time took the other spare head I had on my spare engine. Will see if it will last or not. My original head might been warped. Or maybe I should use a new head gasket.
    Last edited by ianferron; 05-22-2012 at 06:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread