want to convert to electric fuel pump on my 74 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: want to convert to electric fuel pump on my 74 6x6

Quote Originally Posted by jss16 View Post
    great info guys. now that we know oem system is 1.5 psi I will order this unit
    Posi Flo Pumps | Motor Components, LLC | Facet Purolator

its rated 1.5-4 psi . just so we are clear I plan not to use the oem vac pump all together. not just tie this into it .

since this facet unit is rated up to 4 psi you think I need to add a regulator to system?
    Many of our older Tecumsehs with carb mounted pump were switched to the cube style pump.

Is your machine a 74 ABS hard body machine with a 2 stroke?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

yes mine is 2 stoke
    Last edited by jss16; 05-19-2016 at 11:12 AM.

WOW that's clean.
    Better talk to the 2 stroke guys about the pump, if you have a Tilloston or Walbro (probably) you can modify the carb if it has a pump internally and return line to use a Mikuni pulse pump.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

cool thanks guys

I would like if someone can explain whats ment by adding a t fitting to return fuel to tank

Quote Originally Posted by Toys4Me View Post
    If you really want to switch to a electric fuel pump which I'm done on a few machine due to diaphragm pumps failing. I would recommend a screw style pump like these.
    Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 42S Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive
    The electric diaphragm pumps still fail like the vacuum ones.
    I have been having problems with fuel starvation going uphill and backfiring going downhill on my 2003 Bigfoot. Would this be a suitable thing to try? I have always felt that the vacuum fuel pumps are not really up to the job,

Quote Originally Posted by jss16 View Post
    I would like if someone can explain whats ment by adding a t fitting to return fuel to tank
    He is talking about having a return line to the tank. The stock pump only delivers 1.5 psi, this low pressure makes it easy for the float needle to stop the flow of fuel into the carb bowl. The aftermarket electric fuel pumps put out up to 3-5psi, this slightly higher pressue "may" be enough to overcome the needle pressure allowing excess fuel into the carb and flooding your motor. This can actually be a very serious problem if youe sitting parked with the ignition on, after the carb bowl fills up the excess fuel will start to spill down the carb throat into your motor. This can lead to a hydro lock when you try to start the motor again or the fuel will simply wash past the rings and into your crank case. If you run the motor with a crank case full of fuel you won't be happy.

The solution to this potential problem is to install a return fuel line with a 1.5 PSI check valve using a T fitting. Once the upstream fuel line pressue reaches 1.5 PSI, the excess fuel is bled off through the check valve and back to the fuel tank through a return line.

Quote Originally Posted by geoargo View Post
    I have been having problems with fuel starvation going uphill and backfiring going downhill on my 2003 Bigfoot. Would this be a suitable thing to try? I have always felt that the vacuum fuel pumps are not really up to the job,
    Sounds like your a perfect candidate for it from your description. Backfiring is also a sign of a lean mixture (lack of fuel).

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    Sounds like your a perfect candidate for it from your description. Backfiring is also a sign of a lean mixture (lack of fuel).
    Thanks

So it sounds like I also need to install a T fitting with check valve and return line as you describe above if I am going to use this unit becasue of the higher pressure this puts out. Wouldn't that require a long fuel line all the way back to the fuel tank plus some modification to the fuel tank to get the retun line into it?

Quote Originally Posted by geoargo View Post
    Thanks

So it sounds like I also need to install a T fitting with check valve and return line as you describe above if I am going to use this unit becasue of the higher pressure this puts out. Wouldn't that require a long fuel line all the way back to the fuel tank plus some modification to the fuel tank to get the retun line into it?

A return line from the engine compartment would be most ideal but you can just run the T fitting from near the fuel pump at the rear of the machine into the tank, as long as you splice into the fuel line upstream of the electric pump a few inches you'll be fine.

Has you machine always acted this way or is this a recent problem? I would start by changing out the rubber fuel lines and either replace or service the diaphram vacuum pump if this is something that started recently. Fuel lines deteriorate over time, if they are old and original they may be part of your problem. I also like to add a see through fuel filter just before the carb on everything I own, you would be surprised at the amount of rubber particles I see sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread